Neck Pain New Haven, MO
Neck Pain New Haven, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you once took for granted. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. Though the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild nuisance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is often complicated and serious. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a large part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get care from an expert as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading New Haven, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and evidence-based New Haven, MO neck pain treatment that will reduce your pain and return you to what you love. To begin receiving the quality New Haven, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
New Haven, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of New Haven, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and will usually subside without requiring extensive treatment. On the other hand, many other New Haven, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience at least one more pain episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain lasting more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in New Haven, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
New Haven, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in New Haven, MO. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your New Haven, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. New Haven, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Additionally, New Haven, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative measures that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a quality New Haven, MO physical therapy program based on your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near New Haven, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your designated New Haven, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae reduces pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent ongoing New Haven, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the most appropriate method of care in New Haven, MO, your Axes New Haven, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may be expressed as different symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur during a specific time of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your New Haven, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated New Haven, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your care to be sure that we deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near New Haven, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. The Axes team is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in New Haven, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers accessible, safe, evidence-based neck pain care near New Haven, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make significant, long-term neck pain relief in New Haven, MO possible.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide safe and personalized neck pain care in the New Haven, MO area location of your choice. Experience the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program right away. Contact us today or request an appointment now.