Neck Pain Dardenne Prairie, MO
Neck Pain Dardenne Prairie, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. While the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild nuisance that you can successfully disregard, actual neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a large portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, seek the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Dardenne Prairie, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the individualized and proven Dardenne Prairie, MO neck pain treatment that will reduce your pain and allow you to return to what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Dardenne Prairie, MO, contact us today.
Dardenne Prairie, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Dardenne Prairie, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and may even resolve itself without requiring major treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Dardenne Prairie, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience a pain episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Dardenne Prairie, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Dardenne Prairie, MO
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for patients suffering from neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Dardenne Prairie, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Dardenne Prairie, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Additionally, Dardenne Prairie, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative modifications that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Dardenne Prairie, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Dardenne Prairie, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your dedicated Dardenne Prairie, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent ongoing Dardenne Prairie, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the most effective method of care in Dardenne Prairie, MO, your Axes Dardenne Prairie, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary symptom of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may present different symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a certain part of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Dardenne Prairie, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Dardenne Prairie, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your care so that we can deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Dardenne Prairie, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Dardenne Prairie, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, low-risk, effective neck pain care near Dardenne Prairie, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Dardenne Prairie, MO possible.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Dardenne Prairie, MO area location of your choice. Experience the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program immediately. Contact us today or request an appointment now.