Neck Pain Olympian Village, MO
Neck Pain Olympian Village, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. While a metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can successfully ignore, real neck pain is often complicated and serious. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get care from an expert as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Olympian Village, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and evidence-based Olympian Village, MO neck pain treatment that will reduce your pain and allow you to return to the activities you enjoy. To begin receiving the quality Olympian Village, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Olympian Village, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and allow us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Olympian Village, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and will usually resolve itself without requiring extensive treatment. However, a lot of other Olympian Village, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience a recurrence of their pain in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Olympian Village, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Olympian Village, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Olympian Village, MO. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for people experiencing neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Olympian Village, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Olympian Village, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Olympian Village, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative measures that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Olympian Village, MO physical therapy program informed by your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Olympian Village, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your personal Olympian Village, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid additional Olympian Village, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate method of care in Olympian Village, MO, your Axes Olympian Village, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious indicator of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest different symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a specific period of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
When you meet with your Olympian Village, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated Olympian Village, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your care to be sure that we provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Olympian Village, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Olympian Village, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, low-risk, evidence-based neck pain care near Olympian Village, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Olympian Village, MO a reality.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Olympian Village, MO area location of your choice. Discover the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting your treatment right away. Contact us today or submit an appointment request online now.