Neck Pain Campbellton, MO
Neck Pain Campbellton, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. Though a metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild annoyance that you can successfully ignore, real neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a large part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get the right care right away. As the top Campbellton, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the individualized and evidence-based Campbellton, MO neck pain treatment that will extinguish your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To discover what we can do to address your Campbellton, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Campbellton, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Campbellton, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and may even improve without the need for extensive treatment. However, a lot of other Campbellton, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience a episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that persists beyond one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Campbellton, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Campbellton, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Campbellton, MO. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for people experiencing neck pain. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Campbellton, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Campbellton, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Additionally, Campbellton, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative measures that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Campbellton, MO physical therapy program informed by your unique neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Campbellton, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your personal Campbellton, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid additional Campbellton, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the most effective treatment plan in Campbellton, MO, your Axes Campbellton, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious indicator of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. Different neck pain causes may present various symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates during a certain part of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
When you meet with your Campbellton, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Campbellton, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment so that we can deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Campbellton, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Campbellton, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. As an Axes patient, you will receive convenient, safe, proven neck pain care near Campbellton, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Campbellton, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide safe and personalized neck pain care in the Campbellton, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program immediately. Get in touch with us today or request an appointment now.