Neck Pain Villa Ridge, MO
Neck Pain Villa Ridge, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. Though a metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a minor nuisance that you can easily ignore, real neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a significant part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek care from an expert as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Villa Ridge, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the personalized and evidence-based Villa Ridge, MO neck pain treatment you need to eliminate your pain and get back to being able to do what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Villa Ridge, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Villa Ridge, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and allow us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Villa Ridge, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that may even improve without the need for invasive treatment. Still, many other Villa Ridge, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience at least one more episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Villa Ridge, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Villa Ridge, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Villa Ridge, MO. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Villa Ridge, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Villa Ridge, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Villa Ridge, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative measures that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Villa Ridge, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Villa Ridge, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your dedicated Villa Ridge, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae reduces pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid additional Villa Ridge, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the best treatment plan in Villa Ridge, MO, your Axes Villa Ridge, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may present various symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur during a certain part of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your Villa Ridge, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Villa Ridge, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your treatment so that we can provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Villa Ridge, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Villa Ridge, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. As an Axes patient, you will receive convenient, low-risk, effective neck pain care near Villa Ridge, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Villa Ridge, MO.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide safe and personalized neck pain care in the Villa Ridge, MO area location of your choice. Discover the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning your treatment right away. Get in touch with us today or request an appointment now.