Neck Pain Murphy, MO
Neck Pain Murphy, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. While the metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a minor annoyance that you can easily disregard, actual neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a significant part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get the right care as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Murphy, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the individualized and evidence-based Murphy, MO neck pain treatment you need to eliminate your pain and return you to what you love. To begin receiving the quality Murphy, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Murphy, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and allow us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Murphy, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that can often improve without requiring extensive treatment. However, many other Murphy, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience at least one more pain episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain lasting more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Murphy, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Murphy, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Murphy, MO. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for neck pain sufferers. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Murphy, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Murphy, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Murphy, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative adjustments that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Murphy, MO physical therapy program based on your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Murphy, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your personal Murphy, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid ongoing Murphy, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the best method of care in Murphy, MO, your Axes Murphy, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as different symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates during a certain part of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Murphy, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Murphy, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your care to be sure that we deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Murphy, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Murphy, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers accessible, safe, effective neck pain care near Murphy, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Murphy, MO a reality.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Murphy, MO area location of your choice. Experience the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting your treatment immediately. Get in touch with us today or submit an appointment request online now.