Neck Pain St. Ann, MO
Neck Pain St. Ann, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. While a figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild annoyance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a significant part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your life is affected by your neck pain, seek the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading St. Ann, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the personalized and proven St. Ann, MO neck pain treatment you need to manage your pain and return you to what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in St. Ann, MO, contact us today.
St. Ann, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common St. Ann, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that may even improve without requiring invasive treatment. Still, many other St. Ann, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience a recurrence of their pain in a five-year period and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in St. Ann, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in St. Ann, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in St. Ann, MO. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for St. Ann, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. St. Ann, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. St. Ann, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative adjustments that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized St. Ann, MO physical therapy program designed to your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near St. Ann, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your designated St. Ann, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent additional St. Ann, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the most appropriate method of care in St. Ann, MO, your Axes St. Ann, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. Different neck pain causes may manifest different symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates at a specific part of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your St. Ann, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated St. Ann, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment to be sure that we provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near St. Ann, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. The Axes team is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in St. Ann, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. We offer convenient, low-risk, evidence-based neck pain care near St. Ann, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near St. Ann, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the St. Ann, MO area location of your choice. Discover the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting a treatment program immediately. Contact us today or fill out an appointment request form now.