Neck Pain Marlborough, MO
Neck Pain Marlborough, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. While a figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a minor annoyance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get care from an expert right away. As the top Marlborough, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we can provide you with the personalized and proven Marlborough, MO neck pain treatment you need to manage your pain and get back to being able to do the activities you enjoy. To begin receiving the quality Marlborough, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Marlborough, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and afford us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Marlborough, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually subside without requiring invasive treatment. Still, many other Marlborough, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience a pain episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that persists beyond one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Marlborough, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Marlborough, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Marlborough, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Marlborough, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Marlborough, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Additionally, Marlborough, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative modifications that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Marlborough, MO physical therapy program based on your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Marlborough, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your personal Marlborough, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent further Marlborough, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the best method of care in Marlborough, MO, your Axes Marlborough, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest various symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur during a certain period of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Marlborough, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Marlborough, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your treatment to be sure that we provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Marlborough, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. The Axes team recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Marlborough, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, low-risk, evidence-based neck pain care near Marlborough, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Marlborough, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Marlborough, MO area location of your choice. Discover the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting your treatment immediately. Get in touch with us today or request an appointment now.