Neck Pain Dellwood, MO
Neck Pain Dellwood, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. Though the metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild annoyance that you can successfully disregard, real neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek care from an expert right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Dellwood, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the personalized and proven Dellwood, MO neck pain treatment that will extinguish your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To discover what we can do to address your Dellwood, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Dellwood, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Dellwood, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and may even resolve itself without requiring invasive treatment. However, a lot of other Dellwood, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a recurrence of their pain in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain lasting more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Dellwood, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Dellwood, MO
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Dellwood, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Dellwood, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Dellwood, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Dellwood, MO physical therapy program based on your unique neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Dellwood, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your designated Dellwood, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid further Dellwood, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the most appropriate method of care in Dellwood, MO, your Axes Dellwood, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may present various symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates during a specific period of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
Your Dellwood, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Dellwood, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your care to be sure that we deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Dellwood, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Dellwood, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, safe, effective neck pain care near Dellwood, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Dellwood, MO a reality.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Dellwood, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting your treatment promptly. Get in touch with us today or fill out an appointment request form now.