Neck Pain Bridgeton, MO
Neck Pain Bridgeton, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. Though the figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a mild nuisance that you can easily ignore, real neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a large portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your life is affected by your neck pain, seek the right care as soon as possible. As the top Bridgeton, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the individualized and evidence-based Bridgeton, MO neck pain treatment you need to reduce your pain and allow you to return to what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Bridgeton, MO, contact us today.
Bridgeton, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Bridgeton, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually improve without requiring extensive treatment. However, a lot of other Bridgeton, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience a recurrence of their pain in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain lasting more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Bridgeton, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Bridgeton, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Bridgeton, MO. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for neck pain sufferers. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Bridgeton, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Bridgeton, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Additionally, Bridgeton, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Bridgeton, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Bridgeton, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your dedicated Bridgeton, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid further Bridgeton, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the most effective treatment plan in Bridgeton, MO, your Axes Bridgeton, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest different symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates during a specific period of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Bridgeton, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated Bridgeton, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your care to be sure that we provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Bridgeton, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Bridgeton, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. We offer accessible, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Bridgeton, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Bridgeton, MO.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide safe and personalized neck pain care in the Bridgeton, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting a treatment program right now. Contact us today or submit an appointment request online now.