Neck Pain Flint Hill, MO
Neck Pain Flint Hill, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. While a figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can successfully ignore, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a large part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get the right care as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Flint Hill, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and evidence-based Flint Hill, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To begin receiving the quality Flint Hill, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Flint Hill, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Flint Hill, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and can often improve without requiring extensive treatment. However, a lot of other Flint Hill, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience at least one more episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Flint Hill, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Flint Hill, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Flint Hill, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Flint Hill, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Flint Hill, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative adjustments to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Flint Hill, MO physical therapy program informed by your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Flint Hill, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your dedicated Flint Hill, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent further Flint Hill, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the best method of care in Flint Hill, MO, your Axes Flint Hill, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. Different neck pain causes may manifest various symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a specific part of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
Your Flint Hill, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Flint Hill, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your care to be sure that we provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Flint Hill, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Flint Hill, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. We offer accessible, safe, proven neck pain care near Flint Hill, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Flint Hill, MO possible.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Flint Hill, MO area location of your choice. Experience the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning your treatment right now. Contact us today or request an appointment now.