Neck Pain Augusta, MO
Neck Pain Augusta, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. Though the figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a minor nuisance that you can successfully disregard, real neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get the right care as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Augusta, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the personalized and evidence-based Augusta, MO neck pain treatment you need to manage your pain and return you to what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Augusta, MO, contact us today.
Augusta, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and afford us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Augusta, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and will usually improve without the need for major treatment. However, a lot of other Augusta, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience a episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Augusta, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Augusta, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Augusta, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Augusta, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Augusta, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Augusta, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative measures that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Augusta, MO physical therapy program informed by your unique neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Augusta, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your dedicated Augusta, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid further Augusta, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the best treatment plan in Augusta, MO, your Axes Augusta, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious indicator of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as different symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a certain time of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your Augusta, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Augusta, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your treatment so that we can provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Augusta, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Augusta, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. As an Axes patient, you will receive convenient, safe, evidence-based neck pain care near Augusta, MO provided by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Augusta, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Augusta, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program immediately. Reach us today or fill out an appointment request form now.