Neck Pain Pevely, MO
Neck Pain Pevely, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. Though the metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a large portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek care from an expert as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Pevely, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the personalized and evidence-based Pevely, MO neck pain treatment you need to reduce your pain and allow you to return to the activities you enjoy. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Pevely, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Pevely, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Pevely, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and will usually resolve itself without the need for extensive treatment. Still, many other Pevely, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience a pain episode in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Pevely, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Pevely, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Pevely, MO. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for patients suffering from neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Pevely, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Pevely, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Additionally, Pevely, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Pevely, MO physical therapy program informed by your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Pevely, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your personal Pevely, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent ongoing Pevely, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate method of care in Pevely, MO, your Axes Pevely, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may present various symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates during a certain part of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
Your Pevely, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Pevely, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your care to be sure that we provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Pevely, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Pevely, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. As an Axes patient, you will receive convenient, safe, effective neck pain care near Pevely, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Pevely, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Pevely, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting your treatment immediately. Contact us today or request an appointment now.