Neck Pain Old Monroe, MO
Neck Pain Old Monroe, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. Though the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can successfully disregard, actual neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a large portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get the right care as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Old Monroe, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the individualized and proven Old Monroe, MO neck pain treatment that will reduce your pain and get back to being able to do what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Old Monroe, MO, contact us today.
Old Monroe, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and afford us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Old Monroe, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and can often subside without requiring invasive treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Old Monroe, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience at least one more episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that persists beyond one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Old Monroe, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Old Monroe, MO
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Old Monroe, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Old Monroe, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Old Monroe, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative modifications to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Old Monroe, MO physical therapy program informed by your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Old Monroe, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your designated Old Monroe, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid further Old Monroe, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the best method of care in Old Monroe, MO, your Axes Old Monroe, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary symptom of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest different symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates during a certain time of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
Your Old Monroe, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Old Monroe, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your care so that we can provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Old Monroe, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Old Monroe, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. Axes Physical Therapy offers accessible, safe, evidence-based neck pain care near Old Monroe, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Old Monroe, MO.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Old Monroe, MO area location of your choice. Discover the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting your treatment right away. Contact us today or fill out an appointment request form now.