Neck Pain Fenton, MO
Neck Pain Fenton, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you once took for granted. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. While the metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a minor annoyance that you can easily disregard, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a large part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Fenton, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and proven Fenton, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and allow you to return to what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Fenton, MO, contact us today.
Fenton, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Fenton, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and may even subside without requiring major treatment. Still, many other Fenton, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a episode in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain lasting more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Fenton, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Fenton, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Fenton, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Fenton, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Fenton, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time implementing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized Fenton, MO physical therapy program informed by your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Fenton, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your dedicated Fenton, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid additional Fenton, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate treatment plan in Fenton, MO, your Axes Fenton, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may manifest different symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a specific time of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your Fenton, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Fenton, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your care to be sure that we provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Fenton, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. The Axes team is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Fenton, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, safe, proven neck pain care near Fenton, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Fenton, MO a reality.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Fenton, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning your treatment right now. Contact us today or submit an appointment request online now.