Neck Pain Troy, MO
Neck Pain Troy, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. Though the metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a mild annoyance that you can easily ignore, actual neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek care from an expert as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Troy, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the individualized and evidence-based Troy, MO neck pain treatment you need to reduce your pain and get back to being able to do the activities you enjoy. To begin receiving the quality Troy, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Troy, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and give us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Troy, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and may even resolve itself without the need for major treatment. However, a lot of other Troy, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience a recurrence of their pain within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain lasting more than one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Troy, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Troy, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Troy, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for neck pain sufferers. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Troy, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Troy, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Troy, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time implementing preventative adjustments to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Troy, MO physical therapy program designed to your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Troy, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your personal Troy, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent ongoing Troy, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate method of care in Troy, MO, your Axes Troy, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary symptom of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as various symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates at a certain time of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your Troy, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Troy, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your care so that we can deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Troy, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Troy, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer convenient, low-risk, effective neck pain care near Troy, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Troy, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide safe and personalized neck pain care in the Troy, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning your treatment immediately. Get in touch with us today or request an appointment now.