Neck Pain Lakeshire, MO
Neck Pain Lakeshire, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you once took for granted. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. Though a metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can easily disregard, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek care from an expert as soon as possible. As the top Lakeshire, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the individualized and proven Lakeshire, MO neck pain treatment you need to extinguish your pain and return you to what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Lakeshire, MO, contact us today.
Lakeshire, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and afford us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Lakeshire, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and can often improve without requiring extensive treatment. On the other hand, many other Lakeshire, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience at least one more pain episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Lakeshire, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Lakeshire, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Lakeshire, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Lakeshire, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Lakeshire, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative modifications to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Lakeshire, MO physical therapy program determined by your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Lakeshire, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your personal Lakeshire, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent ongoing Lakeshire, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and design the most effective treatment plan in Lakeshire, MO, your Axes Lakeshire, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest different symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a specific period of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your Lakeshire, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Lakeshire, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your care to be sure that we deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Lakeshire, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. The Axes team understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Lakeshire, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, safe, evidence-based neck pain care near Lakeshire, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Lakeshire, MO a reality.
It is time for you to enjoy the activities you love and the pain relief you deserve. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide the highest quality neck pain care in the Lakeshire, MO area location of your choice. Experience the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program right away. Contact us today or submit an appointment request online now.