Neck Pain Dutzow, MO
Neck Pain Dutzow, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. While the metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor nuisance that you can successfully disregard, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get care from an expert right away. As the top Dutzow, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we can provide you with the individualized and evidence-based Dutzow, MO neck pain treatment you need to extinguish your pain and get back to being able to do the activities you enjoy. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Dutzow, MO, contact us today.
Dutzow, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and afford us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Dutzow, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually improve without the need for major treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Dutzow, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience a recurrence of their pain within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Dutzow, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Dutzow, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Dutzow, MO. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Dutzow, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Dutzow, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Additionally, Dutzow, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative modifications that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Dutzow, MO physical therapy program determined by your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Dutzow, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your personal Dutzow, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid ongoing Dutzow, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the most effective method of care in Dutzow, MO, your Axes Dutzow, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. Different neck pain causes may manifest various symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates during a certain part of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Dutzow, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Dutzow, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment to be sure that we deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Dutzow, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. The Axes team is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Dutzow, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers convenient, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Dutzow, MO provided by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Dutzow, MO a reality.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Dutzow, MO area location of your choice. Discover the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting a treatment program right away. Reach us today or request an appointment now.