Neck Pain Mackenzie, MO
Neck Pain Mackenzie, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. While the metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor nuisance that you can easily disregard, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a large portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your life is affected by your neck pain, seek the right care as soon as possible. As the top Mackenzie, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the individualized and proven Mackenzie, MO neck pain treatment you need to reduce your pain and allow you to return to what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Mackenzie, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Mackenzie, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Mackenzie, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and will usually improve without requiring major treatment. However, many other Mackenzie, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience a episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that persists beyond one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Mackenzie, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Mackenzie, MO
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Mackenzie, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Mackenzie, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Additionally, Mackenzie, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative practices to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Mackenzie, MO physical therapy program informed by your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Mackenzie, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your dedicated Mackenzie, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid ongoing Mackenzie, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and design the most appropriate method of care in Mackenzie, MO, your Axes Mackenzie, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. Different neck pain causes may be expressed as various symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a certain part of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Mackenzie, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Mackenzie, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment to be sure that we provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Mackenzie, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Mackenzie, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer convenient, safe, evidence-based neck pain care near Mackenzie, MO provided by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Mackenzie, MO.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Mackenzie, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting a treatment program right away. Get in touch with us today or fill out an appointment request form now.