Neck Pain Innsbrook, MO
Neck Pain Innsbrook, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you are like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. While the metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a minor nuisance that you can successfully disregard, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a large portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get the right care as soon as possible. As the top Innsbrook, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the personalized and evidence-based Innsbrook, MO neck pain treatment you need to extinguish your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To begin receiving the quality Innsbrook, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Innsbrook, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Innsbrook, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually improve without the need for invasive treatment. However, a lot of other Innsbrook, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain experience a pain episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that persists beyond one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Innsbrook, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Innsbrook, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Innsbrook, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for people experiencing neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Innsbrook, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Innsbrook, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Additionally, Innsbrook, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative measures that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Innsbrook, MO physical therapy program designed to your unique neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Innsbrook, MO will be tailored to the reason for your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your personal Innsbrook, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent ongoing Innsbrook, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the best treatment plan in Innsbrook, MO, your Axes Innsbrook, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may present different symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a certain time of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your Innsbrook, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated Innsbrook, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your care to be sure that we provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Innsbrook, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Innsbrook, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers convenient, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Innsbrook, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Innsbrook, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide safe and personalized neck pain care in the Innsbrook, MO area location of your choice. Experience the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program right now. Reach us today or fill out an appointment request form now.