Neck Pain Ironton, MO
Neck Pain Ironton, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. Though a figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild nuisance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get the right care as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Ironton, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the personalized and evidence-based Ironton, MO neck pain treatment you need to reduce your pain and return you to what you love. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Ironton, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Ironton, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Ironton, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and will usually improve without the need for extensive treatment. However, many other Ironton, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience at least one more episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Ironton, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Ironton, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Ironton, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for patients suffering from neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Ironton, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Ironton, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Ironton, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Ironton, MO physical therapy program determined by your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Ironton, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your designated Ironton, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent ongoing Ironton, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the most effective method of care in Ironton, MO, your Axes Ironton, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious indicator of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as different symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates during a specific period of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
When you meet with your Ironton, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Ironton, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your care so that we can provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Ironton, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Ironton, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. We offer convenient, low-risk, effective neck pain care near Ironton, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Ironton, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Ironton, MO area location of your choice. Discover the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program immediately. Get in touch with us today or submit an appointment request online now.