Neck Pain Old Jamestown, MO
Neck Pain Old Jamestown, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. While the figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a minor nuisance that you can easily ignore, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a significant part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get the right care as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Old Jamestown, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the individualized and evidence-based Old Jamestown, MO neck pain treatment that will eliminate your pain and return you to what you love. To discover what we can do to address your Old Jamestown, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Old Jamestown, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and afford us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Old Jamestown, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and can often subside without requiring invasive treatment. Still, a lot of other Old Jamestown, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience a episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Old Jamestown, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Old Jamestown, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Old Jamestown, MO. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for patients suffering from neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Old Jamestown, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Old Jamestown, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Old Jamestown, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative modifications to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized Old Jamestown, MO physical therapy program informed by your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Old Jamestown, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your personal Old Jamestown, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid ongoing Old Jamestown, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and design the best method of care in Old Jamestown, MO, your Axes Old Jamestown, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious indicator of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest different symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur during a certain period of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
When you meet with your Old Jamestown, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Old Jamestown, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your care so that we can deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Old Jamestown, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Old Jamestown, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer accessible, safe, evidence-based neck pain care near Old Jamestown, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Old Jamestown, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide safe and personalized neck pain care in the Old Jamestown, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program promptly. Reach us today or request an appointment now.