Neck Pain Green Park, MO
Neck Pain Green Park, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you once took for granted. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. Though the figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a mild annoyance that you can successfully disregard, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get care from an expert as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Green Park, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and evidence-based Green Park, MO neck pain treatment you need to manage your pain and get back to being able to do the activities you enjoy. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Green Park, MO, contact us today.
Green Park, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and allow us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Green Park, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and can often resolve itself without requiring extensive treatment. However, many other Green Park, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience a episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Green Park, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Green Park, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Green Park, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for people experiencing neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Green Park, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Green Park, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Additionally, Green Park, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Green Park, MO physical therapy program based on your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Green Park, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your personal Green Park, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid additional Green Park, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the most effective treatment plan in Green Park, MO, your Axes Green Park, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may manifest different symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates at a certain part of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
When you meet with your Green Park, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated Green Park, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment to be sure that we deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Green Park, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Green Park, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer accessible, low-risk, evidence-based neck pain care near Green Park, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Green Park, MO.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Green Park, MO area location of your choice. Experience the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning your treatment right now. Reach us today or request an appointment now.