Neck Pain Brentwood, MO
Neck Pain Brentwood, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. Though a figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a mild annoyance that you can successfully disregard, actual neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a large part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your life is affected by your neck pain, seek care from an expert right away. As the top Brentwood, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the personalized and evidence-based Brentwood, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To discover what we can do to address your Brentwood, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Brentwood, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and afford us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Brentwood, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that may even subside without requiring extensive treatment. On the other hand, many other Brentwood, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience a episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain lasting more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Brentwood, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is more than merely carrying tension. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Brentwood, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Brentwood, MO. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Brentwood, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Brentwood, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Brentwood, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time implementing preventative practices to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Brentwood, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Brentwood, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your personal Brentwood, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent additional Brentwood, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and design the best treatment plan in Brentwood, MO, your Axes Brentwood, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as various symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates during a certain part of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
Your Brentwood, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Brentwood, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your treatment so that we can deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Brentwood, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Brentwood, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, safe, evidence-based neck pain care near Brentwood, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Brentwood, MO.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Brentwood, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program right now. Reach us today or request an appointment now.