Neck Pain Wright City, MO
Neck Pain Wright City, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. While the metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a mild annoyance that you can successfully ignore, real neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a large portion of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get the right care right away. As the top Wright City, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the personalized and proven Wright City, MO neck pain treatment you need to extinguish your pain and allow you to return to the activities you enjoy. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Wright City, MO, contact us today.
Wright City, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Wright City, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that can often resolve itself without requiring invasive treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Wright City, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience a pain episode within one to five years and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain lasting more than one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Wright City, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Wright City, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Wright City, MO. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for people experiencing neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Wright City, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Wright City, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Additionally, Wright City, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Wright City, MO physical therapy program determined by your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Wright City, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your designated Wright City, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent further Wright City, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the best method of care in Wright City, MO, your Axes Wright City, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as different symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a specific part of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
When you meet with your Wright City, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Wright City, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your care so that we can deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Wright City, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Wright City, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, safe, proven neck pain care near Wright City, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Wright City, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Wright City, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program immediately. Get in touch with us today or request an appointment now.