Neck Pain Gray Summit, MO
Neck Pain Gray Summit, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. While a metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can successfully ignore, actual neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, seek the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Gray Summit, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the individualized and proven Gray Summit, MO neck pain treatment that will eliminate your pain and get back to being able to do what you love. To begin receiving the quality Gray Summit, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Gray Summit, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and afford us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Gray Summit, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and may even resolve itself without requiring invasive treatment. However, a lot of other Gray Summit, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience at least one more episode in a five-year period and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Gray Summit, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Gray Summit, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Gray Summit, MO. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for patients suffering from neck pain. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Gray Summit, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Gray Summit, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Gray Summit, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative adjustments that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Gray Summit, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Gray Summit, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your dedicated Gray Summit, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent further Gray Summit, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the best treatment plan in Gray Summit, MO, your Axes Gray Summit, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious indicator of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. Different neck pain causes may manifest different symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a specific time of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your Gray Summit, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated Gray Summit, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your care so that we can deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Gray Summit, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Gray Summit, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. As an Axes patient, you will receive convenient, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Gray Summit, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Gray Summit, MO a reality.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide safe and personalized neck pain care in the Gray Summit, MO area location of your choice. Discover the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting your treatment immediately. Reach us today or submit an appointment request online now.