Neck Pain Grantwood Village, MO
Neck Pain Grantwood Village, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. Though a figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a minor nuisance that you can successfully disregard, actual neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a large part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get care from an expert as soon as possible. As the top Grantwood Village, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the individualized and proven Grantwood Village, MO neck pain treatment that will reduce your pain and get back to being able to do what you love. To begin receiving the quality Grantwood Village, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Grantwood Village, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and afford us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Grantwood Village, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually improve without the need for invasive treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Grantwood Village, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience a recurrence of their pain within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Grantwood Village, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Grantwood Village, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for people experiencing neck pain. The efficacy of physical therapy is supported by extensive evidence. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Grantwood Village, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Grantwood Village, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Grantwood Village, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative modifications to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Grantwood Village, MO physical therapy program based on your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Grantwood Village, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your designated Grantwood Village, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid additional Grantwood Village, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the most effective method of care in Grantwood Village, MO, your Axes Grantwood Village, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may be expressed as various symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates at a certain period of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Grantwood Village, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Grantwood Village, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your treatment so that we can provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Grantwood Village, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Grantwood Village, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. Axes Physical Therapy offers convenient, safe, proven neck pain care near Grantwood Village, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Grantwood Village, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Grantwood Village, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting a treatment program right now. Reach us today or request an appointment now.