Neck Pain Catawissa, MO
Neck Pain Catawissa, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent of us, you have experienced neck pain at some point in your life. While the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can easily disregard, actual neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a large part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, seek the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Catawissa, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the personalized and evidence-based Catawissa, MO neck pain treatment you need to eliminate your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To discover what we can do to address your Catawissa, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Catawissa, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Catawissa, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and can often resolve itself without requiring extensive treatment. On the other hand, many other Catawissa, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience a episode in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond a year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can affect anyone in Catawissa, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Catawissa, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Catawissa, MO. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for neck pain sufferers. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Catawissa, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Catawissa, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Catawissa, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative practices to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized Catawissa, MO physical therapy program determined by your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Catawissa, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your goals for recovery. Your personal Catawissa, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent additional Catawissa, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the most effective method of care in Catawissa, MO, your Axes Catawissa, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary indicator of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. Different neck pain causes may be expressed as various symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates during a specific time of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
When you meet with your Catawissa, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Catawissa, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your treatment to be sure that we provide complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Catawissa, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Catawissa, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer convenient, safe, effective neck pain care near Catawissa, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Catawissa, MO possible.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer safe and personalized neck pain care in the Catawissa, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning your treatment right away. Contact us today or fill out an appointment request form now.