Neck Pain Florissant, MO
Neck Pain Florissant, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. Though the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a significant part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek the right care as soon as possible. As the top Florissant, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the individualized and proven Florissant, MO neck pain treatment that will reduce your pain and return you to what you love. To discover what we can do to address your Florissant, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Florissant, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Florissant, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that can often subside without requiring extensive treatment. However, many other Florissant, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. Up to 85% of people who have neck pain will experience a episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain lasting more than one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Florissant, MO. However, there are certain risk factors that make an individual more susceptible to neck pain. Risk factors for neck pain include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Florissant, MO
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for neck pain sufferers. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Florissant, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Florissant, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Florissant, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative practices to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Florissant, MO physical therapy program designed to your unique neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Florissant, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your dedicated Florissant, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae decreases pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent ongoing Florissant, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the best treatment plan in Florissant, MO, your Axes Florissant, MO physical therapist will perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may present different symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates at a certain period of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your Florissant, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated Florissant, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your care so that we can provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Florissant, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Florissant, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, low-risk, evidence-based neck pain care near Florissant, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Florissant, MO.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Florissant, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by starting your treatment promptly. Contact us today or fill out an appointment request form now.