Neck Pain Shrewsbury, MO
Neck Pain Shrewsbury, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. While a metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a minor annoyance that you can successfully ignore, real neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a significant part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get care from an expert as soon as possible. As the top Shrewsbury, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we have what it takes to provide the personalized and proven Shrewsbury, MO neck pain treatment you need to manage your pain and get back to being able to do what you love. To discover what we can do to address your Shrewsbury, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Shrewsbury, MO Neck Pain: Causes and Risk Factors
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Shrewsbury, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
More than 75% of us suffer from neck pain at some point. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually improve without requiring extensive treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Shrewsbury, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience a recurrence of their pain in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that persists beyond a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Shrewsbury, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – We have a term for it these days: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Shrewsbury, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Shrewsbury, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Shrewsbury, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Shrewsbury, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Shrewsbury, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative adjustments to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Shrewsbury, MO physical therapy program determined by your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Shrewsbury, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your personal Shrewsbury, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae relieves pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent further Shrewsbury, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the best method of care in Shrewsbury, MO, your Axes Shrewsbury, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may be expressed as various symptoms and present distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates during a specific time of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Shrewsbury, MO physical therapist, they will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Shrewsbury, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your treatment to be sure that we provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Shrewsbury, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team understands the complex and pervasive nature of neck pain, which affects many of us in Shrewsbury, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. As an Axes patient, you will receive accessible, safe, evidence-based neck pain care near Shrewsbury, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Shrewsbury, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer safe and personalized neck pain care in the Shrewsbury, MO area location of your choice. Discover the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning your treatment immediately. Get in touch with us today or request an appointment now.