Neck Pain Crystal City, MO
Neck Pain Crystal City, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, you have experienced neck pain at one time or another. While the figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a minor annoyance that you can easily ignore, real neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, accounts for a large portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, seek care from an expert as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Crystal City, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the individualized and evidence-based Crystal City, MO neck pain treatment you need to extinguish your pain and allow you to return to what you love. To discover what we can do to address your Crystal City, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Crystal City, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and give us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Crystal City, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and may even subside without the need for major treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Crystal City, MO neck pain patients need tailored care. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience at least one more episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Crystal City, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Crystal City, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Crystal City, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for people experiencing neck pain. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Crystal City, MO neck pain. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Crystal City, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Crystal City, MO physical therapy patients can also benefit by developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative practices that manage the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and changes to the work-station.
With a quality Crystal City, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Crystal City, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your designated Crystal City, MO physical therapist may make use of a combination of any of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae relieves pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of regular joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – a supplement to other therapy methods – things such as ultrasound therapy and electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid further Crystal City, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and design the most appropriate treatment plan in Crystal City, MO, your Axes Crystal City, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may present various symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose the cause of your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Symptoms of pain that occur during a specific time of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Crystal City, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. By serving as your dedicated Crystal City, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your treatment so that we can provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Crystal City, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in Crystal City, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. Axes Physical Therapy offers convenient, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Crystal City, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Crystal City, MO a reality.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Crystal City, MO area location of your choice. Discover the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program promptly. Contact us today or fill out an appointment request form now.