Neck Pain Sappington, MO
Neck Pain Sappington, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you once took for granted. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. While the metaphorical “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild annoyance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a large part of the 88 billion dollars in annual healthcare costs for neck and back pain in the US.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, seek care from an expert as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Sappington, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and evidence-based Sappington, MO neck pain treatment that will manage your pain and allow you to return to the activities you enjoy. To take the first step toward lasting neck pain relief in Sappington, MO, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Sappington, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Sappington, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and may even improve without the need for invasive treatment. On the other hand, many other Sappington, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience at least one more pain episode in a five-year period and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that endures more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Sappington, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Sappington, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for people experiencing neck pain. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Sappington, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Sappington, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Additionally, Sappington, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative practices to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Sappington, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Sappington, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your dedicated Sappington, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to strengthen muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae reduces pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of inflamed or strained muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid additional Sappington, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the most effective treatment plan in Sappington, MO, your Axes Sappington, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest various symptoms and you may experience distinct pain sensations.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a certain time of the day, such as in the morning or at night at bedtime
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your Sappington, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Sappington, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your care to be sure that we provide the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Sappington, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Sappington, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. Axes Physical Therapy offers convenient, safe, proven neck pain care near Sappington, MO provided by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Sappington, MO a reality.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide safe and personalized neck pain care in the Sappington, MO area location of your choice. Experience the power of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning your treatment immediately. Reach us today or fill out an appointment request form now.