Neck Pain Boles, MO
Neck Pain Boles, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. While a figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild nuisance that you can easily disregard, real neck pain is often complicated and serious that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a large part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Boles, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the individualized and evidence-based Boles, MO neck pain treatment that will extinguish your pain and return you to what you love. To begin receiving the quality Boles, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Boles, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck susceptible to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Boles, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and will usually resolve itself without the need for invasive treatment. On the other hand, many other Boles, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers experience a pain episode in a five-year period and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that persists beyond a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Boles, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – The professions that most frequently experience neck pain are office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, those who are overweight or obese are more likely to experience neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Stress-related neck pain is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Boles, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Boles, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though in some cases more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is a much safer choice than surgery or medication.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Boles, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Boles, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Additionally, Boles, MO physical therapy can assist with developing strength and flexibility in muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time implementing preventative practices to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized Boles, MO physical therapy program designed to your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, the care we provide for your neck pain care near Boles, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for recovery. Your designated Boles, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves the joint to mimic normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting inflamed or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and avoid ongoing Boles, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and formulate the most effective method of care in Boles, MO, your Axes Boles, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary characteristic of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. The specific source of your neck pain may present various symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates during a specific time of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
Your neck pain may be described with words such as:
Your Boles, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Boles, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your care so that we can deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Boles, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Boles, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. As an Axes patient, you will receive convenient, safe, evidence-based neck pain care near Boles, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in Boles, MO a reality.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities provide neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the Boles, MO area location that is convenient for you. Discover the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program immediately. Reach us today or submit an appointment request online now.