Neck Pain Washington, MO
Neck Pain Washington, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. Though the figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a mild annoyance that you can easily ignore, actual neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain accounts for a large part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with neck and back pain in the US.
Do not try to ignore or push past your neck pain. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Washington, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the personalized and proven Washington, MO neck pain treatment that will reduce your pain and return you to what you love. To begin receiving the quality Washington, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Washington, MO
Neck pain is a common condition that the vast majority of us will experience at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to protect our vital nervous system, support our heads and bodies, and allow us the flexibility and range of motion that make many activities and tasks possible. However, this intricate arrangement also makes the neck vulnerable to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Causes of Washington, MO Neck Pain
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and may even subside without requiring extensive treatment. However, a lot of other Washington, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience at least one more episode in a five-year period and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in Washington, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Risk factors include:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is those whose work causes them stress and unhappiness, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is an obvious aggravator of neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Washington, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Washington, MO. Physical therapy is an accepted and popular treatment methods for patients suffering from neck pain. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for Washington, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Washington, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain helps you experience life without pain and regain complete range of motion. Additionally, Washington, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative measures that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like posture education and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized Washington, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. When you seek treatment with Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Washington, MO will address the reason for your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your personal Washington, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising of the muscles surrounding the cervical spine increase strength and flexibity
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, supplementing with modification devices like lumbar support cushions when necessary
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – a manual therapy in which your physical therapist gently moves specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or strained muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of ice and/or heat can manage swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure and strain the neck is subjected to, helping to manage pain and prevent additional Washington, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the nature of your neck pain and design the most appropriate method of care in Washington, MO, your Axes Washington, MO physical therapist will examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain, of course, is the primary symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may manifest different symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Symptoms of pain that occur at a certain time of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your Washington, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also conduct an examination designed to assess your range of motion, strength, tenderness, posture, and function. Our goal as your Washington, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain prior to beginning your care to be sure that we deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Washington, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. Axes recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Washington, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer convenient, low-risk, effective neck pain care near Washington, MO provided by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Washington, MO.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that offer safe and personalized neck pain care in the Washington, MO area location that is convenient for you. Experience the effect that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program right away. Contact us today or fill out an appointment request form now.