Neck Pain Schluersburg, MO
Neck Pain Schluersburg, MO. It not only causes great discomfort, but also limits and affects the movements and postures that you once took for granted. If you happen to be like 75 percent of us, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. While a figurative “pain in the neck” may just be a mild annoyance that you can successfully ignore, real neck pain is a serious issue. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Ranking as the number four cause of disability, neck pain makes up a significant part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
If you experience neck pain, do not brush it off. If your life is affected by your neck pain, it is important to get the right care right away. As the top Schluersburg, MO physical therapy and occupational therapy facility, we can provide you with the personalized and proven Schluersburg, MO neck pain treatment you need to extinguish your pain and allow you to return to what you love. To discover what we can do to address your Schluersburg, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Schluersburg, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at least once during our lifetime. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Schluersburg, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. For many, that neck pain will be manageable and may even resolve itself without requiring major treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Schluersburg, MO neck pain patients experience a more serious case. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience at least one more episode in a five-year period and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that persists beyond one year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly happen to anyone in Schluersburg, MO. However, some characteristics and conditions can predispose someone to neck pain. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – It is well-known that stress is hard on the body. Neck pain due to stress is not simply being tense. The physiological stress response also is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Schluersburg, MO
Getting quality and timely care and treatment for your neck pain are crucial, especially considering the complexity of the spine and the high rates of neck pain recurrence in Schluersburg, MO. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for neck pain sufferers. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though it is possible in some cases that additional treatments beyond physical therapy might be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Schluersburg, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, Schluersburg, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain can be successful in reducing pain and stiffness while improving the range of motion needed for pain-free activity. Additionally, Schluersburg, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening muscles affecting the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, while at the same time introducing preventative measures to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as posture education and changes to the work-station.
With a personalized Schluersburg, MO physical therapy program based on your unique neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Schluersburg, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your dedicated Schluersburg, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – separating the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints to mimic normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, making it possible for the muscle to regain its range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – use of heat and/or ice can reduce swelling and pain
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training to correct posture to reduce the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent ongoing Schluersburg, MO neck pain issues
Neck Pain Symptoms
In order to understand the nature of your neck pain and design the best method of care in Schluersburg, MO, your Axes Schluersburg, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. Different neck pain causes may present different symptoms and you may experience certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish your neck pain are:
- Tingling sensation or numbness of the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Limited range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Symptoms of pain that occur during a certain period of the day, such as in the morning or before going to sleep at night
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
When you meet with your Schluersburg, MO physical therapist, they will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Schluersburg, MO neck pain physical therapist is to understand the entirety of your neck pain before beginning your treatment so that we can deliver the safest and most effective treatment available.
Care for your Neck Pain near Schluersburg, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Schluersburg, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer accessible, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Schluersburg, MO provided by licensed physical therapists which advanced degrees and training in the treatment of the spine. It is our patient-centered philosophy, dedicated approach to our patients, and the talented physical therapists in our practice that make significant, long-term neck pain relief in Schluersburg, MO possible.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Schluersburg, MO area location of your choice. Experience the effect of Axes’ quality physical therapy treatment on your neck pain by beginning a treatment program right away. Contact us today or fill out an appointment request form now.