Neck Pain West Alton, MO
Neck Pain West Alton, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you once took for granted. If you happen to be like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at some point in your life. Though a metaphorical “pain in the neck” may just be a mild nuisance that you can successfully disregard, real neck pain is often complicated and serious. It is a pervasive problem that, when not promtly and properly cared for, can result in immense pain and limitations. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a large part of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your neck pain is taking a toll on your life, it is important to get care from an expert as soon as possible. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading West Alton, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and have what it takes to provide the individualized and evidence-based West Alton, MO neck pain treatment that will reduce your pain and allow you to return to the activities you enjoy. To discover what we can do to address your West Alton, MO neck pain, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in West Alton, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. We depend upon the intricate and complex structures that make up the cervical spine to protect our vital nervous system, offer support to our head, and give us a unique combination of flexibility range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is vulnerable to pain and impairment that can be caused by overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common West Alton, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
Around 75% of the population experience neck pain at least once during our lifetime. Fortunately for most of us, neck pain is often manageable and can often resolve itself without requiring extensive treatment. Still, a lot of other West Alton, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience at least one more episode in a five-year period and 37% of neck pain patients develop chronic neck pain that persists beyond a year.
Neck pain is a prevalent problem that can clearly affect anyone in West Alton, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Neck pain is most common among office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers. But, more than the industry or title, the biggest work-related indicator of neck pain is workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, regardless of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – Because of the added stress on the joints and skeletal system and proportionately less muscle strength, overweight and obese individuals are at a higher risk for neck pain.
- Posture – It’s such a common problem in today’s time that we have a colloquial term for it: “text neck.” Poor posture is a major contributor to neck and spine issues including neck pain. In fact, the strain on the cervical spine almost doubles for every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerate disc degeneration and cause pain in the neck, throughout the back, and in other joints.
- Stress – Stress has significant impact on the human body. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that enlarges blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
West Alton, MO Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
It is paramount that you seek out the proper treatment and care for your neck pain as soon as possible. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for people experiencing neck pain. It has been found to be highly effective in treating neck pain. Though in some cases additional treatments beyond physical therapy may be needed, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is a powerful treatment approach for West Alton, MO neck pain that is low-risk and undisruptive. The knowledge and technical skill provided in physical therapy help patients heal safely and completely. Through a combination of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education, West Alton, MO physical therapy treatment for neck pain relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Additionally, West Alton, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while implementing preventative adjustments to avoid the risk of future pain or injury, such as postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a personalized West Alton, MO physical therapy program designed to your individual neck condition and goals, you will soon be able to once again enjoy your usual mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near West Alton, MO will address the cause of your neck pain and your priorities for managing the condition. Your personal West Alton, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of the following strategies:
- Stretching – stretches and exercises to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to improve the strength of muscles in the torso, shoulder, and scapular region that work together to support and provide stability to the cervical spine and upper extremities
- Aerobic activity – low impact cardiovascular exercise that increase body strength and blood flow
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae decreases pressure and gives irritated and inflamed nerves and discs an opportunity to heal
- Postural correction – training and demonstration to develop better posture, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating the joint in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement to gradually restore normal joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – direct targeting of irritated or tight muscle tissue areas releases and relaxes the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – manual manipulation and massage of soft tissue and trigger points that helps release tension
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of heat and/or ice can reduce pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – medical support devices and modifications to relieve neck pain and relieve aggrivating issues from sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education to correct posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and prevent ongoing West Alton, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
In order to understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and design the most appropriate method of care in West Alton, MO, your Axes West Alton, MO physical therapist must examine, observe, and evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious characteristic of neck pain. However, because the spine, including the cervical spine where the neck is housed, is so delightfully complex and versatile, neck pain can present in different ways throughout the body. The specific source of your neck pain may manifest various symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can help diagnose your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Weakness in the arms
- Pain in the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and mobility limitations
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Reduced range of motion
- Sleeping problems
- Pain that escalates during a specific period of the day, like in the morning or at night at bedtime
You may feel neck pain that you could describe with a word such as:
Your West Alton, MO physical therapist will ask you questions designed to understand the cause of your neck pain. In addition, they may assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. By serving as your dedicated West Alton, MO neck pain physical therapist, our mission is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain prior to beginning your care so that we can deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near West Alton, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you suffer from persistent or recurring neck pain, you are not alone. Axes is familiar with just how complicated and common neck pain is–a condition that affects many of us in West Alton, MO and throughout the United States and we are here to help. As an Axes patient, you will receive convenient, low-risk, evidence-based neck pain care near West Alton, MOby the hands of licensed physical therapists who specialize in the spine. Our patient-centered approach, dedicated care, and highly qualified staff make long-lasting, complete relief from your neck pain in West Alton, MO a reality.
It is time that you were able to live pain-free and with the freedom to do the activities you enjoy. We have established a network of locally owned and operated physical therapy treatment facilities that provide neck pain care of unrivaled quality in the West Alton, MO area location of your choice. Discover the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting your treatment right away. Reach us today or request an appointment now.