Neck Pain Bella Villa, MO
Neck Pain Bella Villa, MO. It is painful, greatly limiting, and it affects your ability to move in ways that you typically have no problem with. If you are like 75 percent majority, neck pain has affected you at one time or another. While a figurative “pain in the neck” is typically not more than a mild annoyance that you can easily ignore, real neck pain is a serious issue that affects so many of us and can lead to significant pain and loss of function if not treated promptly and thoroughly. Neck pain, the fourth leading cause of disability, makes up a significant portion of the 88 billion dollars bill for yearly healthcare costs associated with US neck and back complaints.
Neck pain should not be ignored. If your life is affected by your neck pain, seek the right care right away. Axes Physical Therapy is the leading Bella Villa, MO area provider of physical and occupational therapy and can provide you with the personalized and evidence-based Bella Villa, MO neck pain treatment that will eliminate your pain and return you to the activities you enjoy. To begin receiving the quality Bella Villa, MO neck pain care you deserve, contact us today.
Causes and Risk Factors of Neck Pain in Bella Villa, MO
It is a fact that the large majority of us suffer from neck pain at some point in our lives. The intricate and beautifully complex cervical spine is a vital system that serves to provide protection to our nervous system, offer support to our head, and afford us the flexibility and range of motion that make it possible to execute many of the motions and tasks we do every day. As such a complex region of the body, the neck is susceptible to pain and impairment due to overuse, injury and trauma, illnesses, and other conditions.
Common Bella Villa, MO Neck Pain Causes
- Sprains and strains
- Direct trauma
- Joint degeneration
- Bulging disc
- Pinched nerve
At some point in our lives, an estimated 75% of us will suffer from some type of neck pain. Luckily, many of us only experience mild neck pain that will usually subside without requiring invasive treatment. On the other hand, a lot of other Bella Villa, MO neck pain patients are not so lucky. More than half and as many as 85% of neck pain sufferers will experience a episode within one to five years and in 37% of those with neck pain, the condition becomes chronic, with neck pain that endures more than one year.
As such a common issue, it is clear that neck pain can happen to anyone in Bella Villa, MO. There are some indicators, however, that predicate neck pain for many. Some of these factors are:
- Occupation – Office workers, healthcare workers, and manual laborers are the occupations most likely to develop neck pain. However, when considering the relationship between occupations and neck pain, there is an even stronger relationship between individuals who suffer from neck pain and workers who are stressed and unhappy at work, irrespective of the industry or occupation.
- Weight – With comparatively less muscle strength and more stress on the joints and skeletal system, neck pain is common among people who are overweight or obese.
- Posture – There is a term for the poor posture so many of us spend so much time in: “text neck.” Poor posture is to blame for a myriad of neck and spine issues including neck pain. For every 15 degrees of forward bend in the neck, the strain on the cervical spine nearly doubles.
- Smoking – Smoking can be blamed for much pain in the neck, back, and other joints due to its ability to can precipitate disc degeneration.
- Stress – We know that stress can wreak havoc on the body in many ways. Neck pain due to stress is more than merely carrying tension. Stress is a physiological response that is responsible for enlarging blood vessels in the muscles, restricts neck and shoulder movement, and heightens the perception of pain.
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain in Bella Villa, MO
Due to the complex nature of the spine and the high rate of recurring neck pain in Bella Villa, MO, proper care and treatment after experiencing neck pain are essential. Physical therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for people experiencing neck pain. This is with good reason, as evidence supports it as a highly effective neck pain treatment strategy. Though it is possible in some cases that more extensive medical treament beyond physical therapy may be required, physical therapy is an excellent first line of defense.
Physical therapy is an easily accessible, low-risk, non-invasive form of treatment that addresses the cause of your Bella Villa, MO neck pain. It offers neck pain patients a way to heal as safely and as thoroughly as possible. Bella Villa, MO physical therapy makes use of hands-on manual therapies, exercise, and education. A treatment plan using a combination of these strategies relieves stiffness and pain so that you may regain normal mobility and function. Additionally, Bella Villa, MO physical therapy can assist with stretching and strengthening the muscles related to the neck, shoulder, shoulder blade, and core, all while introducing preventative modifications that manage the risk of future pain or injury, like postural training and work-station adaptation.
With a quality Bella Villa, MO physical therapy program based on your unique neck condition and goals, you can soon enjoy restored mobility, flexibility, strength, and range of motion. At Axes Physical Therapy, your neck pain care near Bella Villa, MO will be tailored to the cause of your neck pain and your goals for managing the condition. Your designated Bella Villa, MO physical therapist may design your neck pain treatment plan to include some of these treatment methods:
- Stretching – stretching and exercising to improve the strength and range of motion of the muscles connected to the cervical spine
- Core, shoulder, and back strengthening – conditioning to make stronger the muscles that support and stabilize the cervical spine and upper body, including those in the torso, shoulders, and scapular regions
- Aerobic activity – to encourage healthy blood flow and build body strength, low-impact cardiovascular exercise
- Traction – creating space between the vertebrae reduces pressure and allows inflamed and irritated nerves and discs to heal
- Postural correction – improving posture by demonstrating and educating proper practices, using lumbar support and other assistive devices when appropriate
- Joint mobilization and manipulation – your physical therapist performs this manual therapy by manipulating specific joints in a way that mirrors normal joint and tissue movement, allowing for the gradual restoration of typical joint function and range of motion
- Trigger point dry needling – directly targeting irritated or tight muscle tissue areas provides relief by releasing and relaxing the irritated tissue, which allows the muscles to reclaim their range of motion
- Massage – releasing tension through the massage and hands-on manipulation of soft tissues
- Therapeutic modalities – things like ultrasound therapy and electrical nerve and muscle stimulation therapies can supplement other therapies
- Heat and ice – local application of ice and/or heat can manage pain and swelling
- Ergonomic modifications and devices – to prevent complication and further neck pain, support devices can be used for sleeping, sitting, working at a desk, etc
- Posture correction – training and education on proper posture to minimize the amount of pressure put on the neck, reduce pain, and avoid further Bella Villa, MO neck pain issues
Symptoms of Neck Pain
To truly understand the cause and extent of your neck pain and formulate the most appropriate method of care in Bella Villa, MO, your Axes Bella Villa, MO physical therapist must perform an examination to evaluate your condition. Pain is an obvious symptom of neck pain. However, the spine is a brilliantly complex and versatile structure within the human body and the cervical spine, or the neck portion of the spine, is no exception. Different neck pain causes may present various symptoms and present certain types of pain.
Symptoms that can distinguish the cause of your neck pain are:
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Upper extremity weakness
- Pain that extends to the upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Stiffness and immobility
- Increased pain when sneezing, coughing, reaching, etc
- Comparatively limited range of motion
- Difficulty sleeping
- Pain that escalates at a specific time of the day, like in the morning or before going to sleep at night
The types of neck pain you might experience include:
Your Bella Villa, MO physical therapist will work to understand the cause of your neck pain by asking you specific questions. They may also assess factors including strength, flexibility, range of motion, posture, and functional ability through an examination. Our goal as your Bella Villa, MO neck pain physical therapist is to gain as complete a picture as possible of your neck pain before beginning your treatment to be sure that we deliver complete, safe, and effective treatment.
Care for your Neck Pain near Bella Villa, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
If you are like 75% of us out there, you have lived with neck pain and you are not alone. The Axes team recognizes that neck pain is a complex condition that affects many of us in Bella Villa, MO and throughout the United States. We have what it takes to restore you to optimal health. We offer convenient, low-risk, proven neck pain care near Bella Villa, MO, all administered by licensed physical therapists who have dedicated their careers to treating the spine. The patient-centered philosophy, individualized care, and extremely talented and qualified staff found in our facilities make it possible for you to find meaningful, lasting relief from your neck pain near Bella Villa, MO.
It is time for you to know the pain-free life you deserve–the one that allows you to do all the things you love without limitations. Our family of twelve locally owned and operated physical therapy facilities offer the highest quality neck pain care in the Bella Villa, MO area location of your choice. Discover the power that Axes’ physical therapy care can have on your neck pain by starting a treatment program immediately. Reach us today or fill out an appointment request form now.