Sports Injury Barnhart, MO. A sports injury can occur when you are playing a competitive sport, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other kinds of physical activity. You don’t have to be a professional athlete to experience a sports injury. In reality, the majority of sports injuries happen to non-professional athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Barnhart, MO sports therapists can help you recover. Axes Physical Therapy has has fourteen locally owned and operated facilities, each with its own group of physical and occupational therapists. If you are injured while being physically active, our team can treat your sports injury and safely get you back to the activities you enjoy. Find out more about the Barnhart, MO sports injury treatment location most convenient for you, learn more about Axes and what makes us the leader in sports injury care in the Barnhart, MO area or contact us now to schedule an assessment of your sports injury with a qualified physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries vary immensely in terms of seriousness, required treatment and impact on the body and ability to stay active. Our Barnhart, MO physical and occupational therapists specialize in treating all forms of sports injuries. With decades of experience, exhaustive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in trustworthy hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Barnhart, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will lead you through your recovery and ensure that you will be back to the sports and activities you enjoy soon.
As skillful sports therapists serving all of Barnhart, MO, we have seen and successfully treated almost every kind of sports injury. The following are some of the most common sports injury conditions we work with.
- Sprains – A sprain occurs when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a tendon or muscle is torn or overstretched, you have a strain, which are sometimes mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon suffers from overuse, it can cause swelling and become painful, limiting activity. Long term or chronic inflammation of a tendon can bring about degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, resulting in tendonitis.
- Inflamed joints or tissue – Inflammation is a common reaction to a lot of sports injuries and can cause pain and weakness.
- Broken bones – Fractures are caused by overuse or trauma caused by an outside force, and can include stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A sports injury can force a bone out of its socket, dislocating it.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a vital but potentially at-risk joint that can experience a number of different sports injuries causing torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and broken bones.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The rotator cuff is a network of muscles and tendons that prohibits your arm from popping out of the shoulder socket while still allowing your shoulder to move in all directions. Impingement and/ or tears are the most common rotator cuff sports injuries.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a significantly strong and flexible tendon which connects your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are typical Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that typically affects runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become inflamed, causing soreness.
Our sports injury treatment team can help you recover from your sports injury. As an expert in movement and movement disorders, your Barnhart, MO sports therapist will use their experience and knowledge toward your recovery. Employing evidence-based practices, we will design a tailored treatment plan that will permit you to safely recover from your sports injury and bring back your strength and mobility so that you can get back to the sports you love while safeguarding against future injury.
If you experience a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to return you to optimal physical health and restore you to your optimum performance level. Work with a qualified Barnhart, MO physical therapist to recuperate from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
A sports injury happen to anyone who is being active or playing. That is why it is vital to take care of our bodies both on and off the field and to take the needed precautions while playing sports or training. Warming up is always an important first step, and do not overexert yourself, particularly if you haven’t been active. And if you do experience a sports injury, call the Barnhart, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will lead you through you in your rehabilitation and return you to the sports you love as soon as possible.
You are at an increased risk of a sports injury if you:
- Participate after not being active for a while or poor level of fitness
- Do not stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with a predictably higher chance of injury
Age also plays a factor in sports injuries, as younger children and the elderly are at higher risk. As someone who enjoys being active and who has family members that are in increased danger of a sports injury, whether they are strapping on cleats for the first time or getting active again by tearing up the recreation center’s pickleball court, review the basic instructions for sports injury prevention to help keep yourself and your Barnhart, MO family safe from severe sports injuries. If you or a loved one suffers a sports injury while being active, trust in the talented Barnhart, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy right away for a free injury screening or analysis of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anybody who engages in physical activity, a sports injury can disrupt your entire schedule and your day-to-day life. Due to physical activity being such a vital element of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists advocate for the belief that we all are safer with the proper sports injury prevention knowledge. Learn more about sports injury prevention by speaking to one of our Barnhart, MO physical therapists and lessen the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Stiff muscles have an increased risk of tearing, while warmed up muscles have more flexibility. As your muscles warm up, the flexibility lets them absorb force more easily and shield themselves better against harsh, sudden motions that can otherwise cause injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries often happen when you try to participate in a sport without any experience or training. You need a lot of practice to perfect the technical skills of any sport, but be sure to learn the fundamentals of proper movement technique before participating in a sport or activity. For example, knowing to bend your knees as you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is crucial that you use the correct equipment when you are active. The equipment should not only be appropriate for the sport, but also be working properly and safe to use. Some examples of equipment are:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety goggles
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is appropriate for the activity
- Play in safe conditions
In addition to using the appropriate equipment to play the sport, it is important that the Barnhart, MO setting where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can occur when the surface of the court is wet and slippery or the turf is muddy. Even if you are very careful, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, hazardous conditions around you can cause a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking sufficient water is a fundamental health practice that everyone should do. When participating in in physical activity, drink a lot of of water before, during, and after your workout. It is important to consistently hydrate during physical activity and afterward to replace the fluids that you lost through perspiring.
In addition to staying hydrated, practicing good nutrition also lessens your risk of a sports injury.
As an athlete, one of your first concerns should be eating a balanced diet of nutrient-rich foods and getting the correct number of calories. Even when you take all the proper precautions and always exercise good judgment when playing a sport or physical activity, sometimes an injury is impossible to avoid. We cannot always control the world around us, and injuries are part of being an athlete. If you experience a severe sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Barnhart, MO sports therapists immediately. We will take you through an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and develop a tailored treatment plan to get you back to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As an athlete, we know that living with an activity-limiting injury is more than frustrating. In order to be able to get back to the level of performance, mobility and strength you previously had, you must receive the right sports injury treatment. When you suffer a sports injury, the experienced Barnhart, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work with you step-by-step to design an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Barnhart, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Barnhart, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your recovery from your sports injury. When treating a sports injury, it is important to get proper care from a experienced professional straight away. After you have been injured while playing sports, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Barnhart, MO sports therapy team is ready to help return you to full strength and get you back to doing the activities you love. Find out more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Barnhart, MO location nearest you.