Sports Injury Troy, MO. A sports injury can occur when you are playing a competitive sport, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other types of physical activity. You don’t have to be a professional athlete to experience a sports injury. In reality, the majority of sports injuries occur in recreational athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Troy, MO sports therapists can help you heal. Axes Physical Therapy has a network of physical and occupational therapists treating sports injuries at any of our fourteen locally owned and operated facilities. If you are injured while being physically active, our team can treat your sports injury and safely return you to the sports you love. Learn more about the Troy, MO sports injury treatment location most convenient for you, learn more about Axes and what makes us the leader in sports injury treatment in the Troy, MO area or contact us now to schedule an evaluation of your sports injury with a qualified physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries vary immensely in terms of seriousness, needed treatment and effect on the body and ability to stay active. Our Troy, MO physical and occupational therapists specialize in treating all sorts of sports injuries. With decades of experience, exhaustive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in able hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Troy, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will lead you through your recuperation and make sure that you are able to return to the sports and activities you love quickly.
As skillful sports therapists serving all of Troy, MO, there are not many sports injuries we have not seen or successfully treated. The following are some of the some of the sports injuries we see the most of.
- Sprains – A sprain occurs when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a tendon or muscle is torn or overstretched, you suffer a strain, which can often be mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon suffers from overuse, it can become inflamed and sore, restricting activity. Long term or chronic inflammation of a tendon can cause degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, resulting in tendonitis.
- Swollen joints or tissue – Inflammation is a common consequence of many sports injuries and can cause pain and weakness.
- Broken bones – Overuse and force from accidents can cause fractures, including stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A dislocation sports injury happens when a bone is forced out of its socket.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a vital but potentially vulnerable joint that can be affected by a lot of different sports injuries bringing about torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and fracture.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The muscles responsible for allowing your shoulder to move in all directions while keeping it in place make up the rotator cuff. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is an especially strong and flexible tendon which connects your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are common Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that is most common in runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become swollen, causing pain.
If you have a sports injury, our sports injury treatment team can help. As an expert in movement and movement disorders, your Troy, MO sports therapist will apply their experience and expertise toward your recovery. Using evidence-based practices, we will design a tailored treatment plan that will allow you to safely recover from your sports injury and bring back your strength and movement so that you can get back to the sports you love while preventing future injury.
If you have a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to return you to excellent physical health and restore you to your peak performance level. Work with a qualified Troy, MO physical therapist to heal from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
Anybody can experience a sports injury while being active. That is why it is key to take care of our bodies both on and off the field and to take the requisite precautions while participating in sports or working out. Remember to warm up before physical activity and never overexert yourself, especially if you’ve been inactive. And if you do suffer a sports injury, get in touch with the Troy, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will lead you through you in your rehabilitation and return you to the physical activities you love as soon as possible.
You have a heightened risk of a sports injury if you:
- Participate after not being active for a while or poor level of fitness
- Neglect to stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with a predictably higher prospect of injury
Young children and older adults are also at a higher risk of experiencing a sports injury. As someone who enjoys being active and who has family members that are more susceptible to sports injury, whether they are just now learning how to dribble or getting active again by tearing up the recreation center’s pickleball court, review the basic strategies for preventing sports injury to help keep yourself and your Troy, MO family safe from serious sports injuries. If you or a family member suffers a sports injury while being active, trust in the skilled Troy, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy immediately for a complimentary injury screening or assessment of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anyone who engages in physical activity, a sports injury can upset your entire schedule and your daily life. Because physical activity is such a vital facet of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists advocate for the view that every one of us is safer with the proper sports injury prevention knowledge. Discover more about sports injury prevention by calling one of our Troy, MO physical therapists and reduce the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Stiff muscles have an increased chance of tearing, while warmed up muscles are more flexible. As your muscles warm up, the flexibility helps them absorb movement more easily and be more resilient against jarring, sudden motions that can otherwise leads to injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries commonly happen when you attempt to do an activity without any experience or training. You need a great deal of practice to perfect the technical skills of any sport, but be sure to learn the fundamentals of proper movement technique before participating in a sport or activity. For example, knowing to bend your knees when you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is very important that you use the right equipment while you are active. The equipment should not only be suitable for the sport, but also be in good condition and safe to use. Some examples of equipment are:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety goggles
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is appropriate for the activity
- Play in safe conditions
Other than using the proper gear to play the sport, it is crucial that the Troy, MO setting where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can happen when the surface of the court is wet and slippery or the turf is muddy. Even if you are alert, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, dangerous conditions around you can result in a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking sufficient water is a fundamental health practice that everyone should do. When participating in in physical activity, drink a lot of of water before, during, and after your workout. It is important to regularly hydrate during physical activity and afterward to replace the water that you lost through perspiring.
In addition to staying hydrated, practicing good nutrition also reduces your chances of suffering a sports injury.
Eating a balanced, nutritious diet and balancing your caloric intake is a priority for any athlete. Even with precautionary measures and practicing good judgement when playing a sport or physical activity, from time to time an injury is not preventable. We cannot always control the world around us, and injuries are going to happen. If you have an acute sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Troy, MO sports therapists right away. We will perform an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and put together a tailored treatment plan to get you back to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As someone who is active, we know that living with an activity-limiting injury is incredibly frustrating. In order to be able to get back to peak performance, mobility and strength you are accustomed to, you must receive the right sports injury treatment. When you experience a sports injury, the skilled Troy, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work with you step-by-step to formulate an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Troy, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Troy, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your recovery from your sports injury. When dealing with a sports injury, it is vital to get proper treatment from a skilled professional straight away. When you have been hurt while being active, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Troy, MO sports therapy team is ready to help return you to full strength and get you back to playing the sports you love. Discover more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Troy, MO location nearest you.