Sports Injury Winchester, MO. A sports injury can take place when you are playing a sport competitively, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other sorts of physical activity. Professional athletes aren’t the only people who can experience a sports injury. In fact, most sports injuries happen to non-professional athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Winchester, MO sports therapists can help you recuperate. Axes Physical Therapy has a network of physical and occupational therapists treating sports injuries at any of our fourteen locally owned and operated facilities. After you are injured while participating in physical activities, our team can treat your sports injury and safely return you to the activities you love. Learn more about the Winchester, MO sports injury treatment location most convenient for you, learn more about Axes and why we are the leader in sports injury treatment in the Winchester, MO area or contact us now to schedule an analysis of your sports injury with a professional physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries differ widely in terms of severity, required treatment and impact on the body and ability to stay active. Our Winchester, MO physical and occupational therapists are experts in treating all types of sports injuries. With decades of experience, extensive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in deft hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Winchester, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will lead you through your recovery and make sure that you are able to return to the sports and activities you love quickly.
As experienced sports therapists serving all of Winchester, MO, there are few sports injuries we have not seen or successfully treated. Listed below are some of the some of the sports injuries we see the most of.
- Sprains – A sprain happens when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a muscle or tendon is torn or overstretched, you suffer a strain, which are sometimes mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon suffers from overuse, it can cause swelling and become painful, limiting activity. Long term or chronic inflammation of a tendon can result in degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, causing tendonitis.
- Swollen joints or tissue – Inflammation is a common consequence of many sports injuries and can lead to pain and weakness.
- Broken bones – Overuse and force from accidents can cause fractures, such as stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A sports injury can force a bone out of its socket, dislocating it.
- Knee injuries – The knee is an important but potentially vulnerable joint that can be affected by a lot of different sports injuries causing torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and broken bones.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The muscles responsible for allowing your shoulder to move in all directions while keeping it in place make up the rotator cuff. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a tremendously strong and flexible tendon which connects your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are typical Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that typically affects runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become swollen, causing soreness.
Our sports injury treatment team can help you recover from your sports injury. As an expert in movement and movement disorders, your Winchester, MO sports therapist will employ their experience and knowledge toward your recovery. Using evidence-based practices, we will implement a tailored treatment plan that will permit you to safely rehabilitate from your sports injury and bring back your strength and mobility so that you can get back to the sports you love while protecting against future injury.
If you have a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to return you to optimal physical health and restore you to your highest performance level. Work with a qualified Winchester, MO physical therapist to rehabilitate from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
Anyone. That is why it is key to protect our bodies both on and off the field and to take the necessary precautions while participating in sports or working out. Warming up is always an important first step, and never overwork your body, particularly if you’ve been inactive. And if you do suffer a sports injury, contact the Winchester, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will guide you in you in your recovery and return you to the physical activities you love as soon as possible.
You are at a heightened risk of a sports injury if you:
- Play after an extended period of inactivity or poor level of fitness
- Do not stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with an inherently higher prospect of injury
Young children and older adults are also at a higher risk of experiencing a sports injury. As someone who enjoys being active and who has family members that are at a higher risk of sports injury, whether they are just now learning how to dribble or getting active again by tearing up the recreation center’s pickleball court, review the basic strategies for sports injury prevention to help keep yourself and your Winchester, MO family safe from serious sports injuries. If you or someone you you know suffers a sports injury while being active, turn to the experienced Winchester, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy now for a complimentary injury screening or analysis of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or someone who engages in physical activity, a sports injury can upset your whole schedule and your day-to-day life. Because physical activity is such a vital facet of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists promote the belief that each one of us is safer with the proper sports injury prevention knowledge. Discover more about sports injury prevention by contacting one of our Winchester, MO physical therapists and lessen the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Inactive muscles have a higher chance of tearing, while warmed up muscles are more flexible. As your muscles warm up, the flexibility lets them absorb impacts more effectively and protect themselves better against harsh, sudden motions that can otherwise leads to injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries frequently take place when you attempt to do an activity without any experience or training. You need a lot of practice to perfect the technical skills of any sport, but be sure to learn the fundamentals of proper movement technique before participating in a sport or activity. For example, understanding how to bend your knees when you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is essential that you use suitable equipment when being active. The equipment should not only be right for the sport, but also be in good condition and safe to use. This includes the following:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety goggles
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is suitable for the activity
- Play in a safe environment
In addition to having the correct equipment to play the sport, it is important that the Winchester, MO setting where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can occur when the surface of the court is wet and slippery or the turf is muddy. Even if you are alert, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, unsafe conditions around you can result in a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking enough water is a basic health practice that everyone should do. If you are engaging in physical activity, drink plenty of water before, during, and after your workout. It is crucial to constantly hydrate while you are being active and afterward to replenish the water you have lost through sweating.
In addition to staying hydrated, practicing good nutrition also decreases your chances of experiencing a sports injury.
As an athlete, one of your priorities should be eating a balanced diet of nutrient-rich foods and getting the appropriate number of calories. Even with precautionary measures and practicing good judgement when playing a sport or being active, at times an injury is inevitable. Many things are outside of our control, and injuries are going to happen. If you have a serious sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Winchester, MO sports therapists right away. We will take you through an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and formulate a tailored treatment plan to restore you to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As an athlete, we know that living with an injury that prohibits you from physical activity is more than frustrating. In order to be able to get back to optimal performance, mobility and strength you previously had, you must receive the right sports injury treatment. When you suffer a sports injury, the skilled Winchester, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work closely with you to design an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Winchester, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Winchester, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your recuperation from your sports injury. When handling a sports injury, it is crucial to get proper care from a skilled professional right away. After you have been injured while playing sports, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Winchester, MO sports therapy team is ready to help get you back to full strength and get you back to playing the sports you love. Discover more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Winchester, MO location nearest you.