Sports Injury Webster Groves, MO. A sports injury can take place when you are playing a sport competitively, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other types of physical activity. Professional athletes aren’t the only people who can experience a sports injury. In fact, most sports injuries happen to non-professional athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Webster Groves, MO sports therapists can help you recover. Axes Physical Therapy has has fourteen locally owned and operated facilities, each with its own group of physical and occupational therapists. After you are injured while being physically active, our team can treat your sports injury and safely get you back to the sports you enjoy. Find out more about the Webster Groves, MO sports injury treatment location closest you, learn more about Axes and why we are the leader in sports injury treatment in the Webster Groves, MO area or contact us now to schedule an assessment of your sports injury with a certified physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries differ immensely in terms of severity, needed treatment and impact on the body and ability to keep active. Our Webster Groves, MO physical and occupational therapists specialize in treating all forms of sports injuries. With decades of experience, exhaustive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in trustworthy hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Webster Groves, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will lead you through your rehabilitation and make certain that you are able to return to the sports and activities you love quickly.
As accomplished sports therapists serving all of Webster Groves, MO, we have seen and successfully treated almost every kind of sports injury. The following are some of the most common sports injury conditions we work with.
- Sprains – A sprain occurs when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a tendon or muscle is torn or overstretched, you suffer a strain, which can often be mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon is overused, it can cause swelling and become sore, prohibiting activity. Long term or chronic inflammation of a tendon can lead to degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, resulting in tendonitis.
- Swollen joints or tissue – Inflammation is a common consequence of a lot of sports injuries and can result in pain and weakness.
- Broken bones – Fractures are caused by overuse or trauma caused by an outside force, and can include stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A dislocation sports injury occurs when a bone is forced out of its socket.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a vital but potentially vulnerable joint that can experience many different sports injuries resulting in torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and fracture.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The rotator cuff is a group of muscles and tendons that disallows your arm from popping out of the shoulder socket while still allowing your shoulder to move in all directions. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a tremendously strong and flexible tendon which connects your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are common Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that typically affects runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become inflamed, causing soreness.
If you have a sports injury, our sports injury treatment team can help. As an expert in motion and movement disorders, your Webster Groves, MO sports therapist will employ their experience and expertise toward your recovery. Employing evidence-based practices, we will design a tailored treatment plan that will permit you to safely rehabilitate from your sports injury and return your strength and mobility so that you can get back to the sports you love while preventing future injury.
If you experience a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to return you to optimal physical health and return you to your maximum performance level. Work with a qualified Webster Groves, MO physical therapist to recover from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
A sports injury happen to anybody who is being active or participating in a sport. For that reason it is of utmost importance to look after our bodies both on and off the field and to take the requisite precautions while playing sports or training. Warming up is always an important first step, and never overexert yourself, especially if you’ve been inactive. And if you do experience a sports injury, reach out to the Webster Groves, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will guide you in you in your rehabilitation and get you back to the activities you love as soon as possible.
You are at an increased risk of a sports injury if you:
- Play after not being active for a while or poor level of fitness
- Neglect to stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with an inherently higher prospect of injury
Age also plays a factor in sports injuries, as younger children and the elderly are at higher risk. As someone who enjoys being active and who has loved ones that are at a higher risk of sports injury, whether they are just now learning how to dribble or getting active again by tearing up the recreation center’s pickleball court, consider the basic guidelines for preventing sports injury to help keep yourself and your Webster Groves, MO family safe from serious sports injuries. If you or a family member suffers a sports injury while participating in a sport, trust in the talented Webster Groves, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy now for a complimentary injury screening or evaluation of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anybody who is active, a sports injury can interrupt your entire schedule and your day-to-day life. As physical activity is such a important facet of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists promote the view that we all are safer with the proper sports injury prevention knowledge. Discover more about sports injury prevention by speaking to one of our Webster Groves, MO physical therapists and reduce the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Inactive muscles are at a higher chance of tearing, while warmed up muscles have more flexibility. As your muscles warm up, the flexibility lets them absorb impacts more effectively and be more resilient against jarring, sudden motions that can otherwise cause injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries commonly occur when you try to do an activity without any experience or training. Any athlete requires a lot of practice to perfect the technical aspects of any sport, but be sure to learn the fundamentals of proper movement technique before taking part in a sport or activity. For example, understanding how to bend your knees while you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is vital that you use suitable equipment when being active. The equipment should not only be appropriate for the sport, but also be in good condition and safe to use. This includes the following:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety glasses
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is appropriate for the activity
- Play in safe conditions
In addition to having the proper gear to play the sport, it is crucial that the Webster Groves, MO location where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can occur when the surface your are playing on is wet, slippery, or muddy. Even if you are conscientious, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, unsafe conditions where you play can cause a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking adequate water is a fundamental health practice that everyone should do. If you are engaging in physical activity, drink a lot of of water before, during, and after your workout. It is important to constantly hydrate during physical activity and afterward to replenish the fluids you have lost through sweat.
In addition to drinking enough water, practicing good nutrition also lowers your chances of suffering a sports injury.
Eating a balanced, nutritious diet and monitoring your caloric intake is a priority for any athlete. Even with precautionary measures and practicing good judgement when playing a sport or physical activity, at times an injury is not preventable. Many things are outside of our control, and injuries are going to happen. If you suffer a severe sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Webster Groves, MO sports therapists right away. We will conduct an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and develop a tailor-made treatment plan to get you back to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As someone who is active, we know that living with an activity-limiting injury is incredibly frustrating. In order to be able to get back to peak performance, mobility and strength you previously had, you must receive the right sports injury care. When you experience a sports injury, the knowledgeable Webster Groves, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work closely with you to formulate an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Webster Groves, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Webster Groves, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your recuperation from your sports injury. When managing a sports injury, it is crucial to get proper care from a skilled professional straight away. After you have been injured while playing sports, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Webster Groves, MO sports therapy team is ready to help get you back to full strength and get you back to doing the activities you love. Find out more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Webster Groves, MO location nearest you.