Sports Injury Foley, MO. A sports injury can happen when you are playing a competitive sport, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other types of physical activity. You don’t have to be a professional athlete to experience a sports injury. Actually, the majority of sports injuries happen to non-professional athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Foley, MO sports therapists can help you heal. Axes Physical Therapy has a network of physical and occupational therapists treating sports injuries at any of our fourteen locally owned and operated facilities. After you are injured while participating in physical activities, our team can treat your sports injury and safely get you back to the sports you love. Learn more about the Foley, MO sports injury treatment location most convenient for you, learn more about Axes and what makes us the leader in sports injury care in the Foley, MO area or contact us now to schedule an assessment of your sports injury with a professional physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries vary immensely in terms of seriousness, necessary treatment and effect on the body and ability to stay active. Our Foley, MO physical and occupational therapists specialize in treating all varieties of sports injuries. With decades of experience, extensive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in able hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Foley, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will lead you through your rehabilitation and ensure that you are able to return to the sports and activities you love quickly.
As accomplished sports therapists serving all of Foley, MO, there are not many sports injuries we have not seen or successfully treated. Below are some of the most common sports injury conditions we work with.
- Sprains – A sprain occurs when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a tendon or muscle is torn or overstretched, you experience a strain, which can often be mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon suffers from overuse, it can become swollen and painful, prohibiting activity. Long term or chronic swelling of a tendon can bring about degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, causing tendonitis.
- Swollen joints or tissue – Inflammation is a common reaction to a lot of sports injuries and can lead to pain and weakness.
- Broken bones – Fractures are caused by overuse or trauma caused by an outside force, and can include stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A sports injury can force a bone out of its socket, dislocating it.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a major but potentially at-risk joint that can suffer from a variety of different sports injuries bringing about torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and broken bones.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The rotator cuff is a network of muscles and tendons that prohibits your arm from popping out of the shoulder socket while still allowing your shoulder to move in all directions. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a significantly strong and flexible tendon which connects your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are typical Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that is most common in runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become inflamed, causing pain.
If you suffer a sports injury, our sports injury treatment team can help. As an expert in motion and movement disorders, your Foley, MO sports therapist will apply their experience and expertise toward your recovery. Applying evidence-based practices, we will design a tailored treatment plan that will let you safely recover from your sports injury and restore your strength and movement so that you can get back to the sports you love while preventing future injury.
If you have a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to return you to excellent physical health and get you back to to your highest performance level. Work with a qualified Foley, MO physical therapist to recover from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
Anyone. That is why it is vital to take care of our bodies both on and off the field and to take the requisite precautions while playing sports or training. Warming up is always an important first step, and never overexert yourself, particularly if you haven’t been active. And if you do experience a sports injury, call the Foley, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will guide you in you in your rehabilitation and return you to the activities you love as soon as possible.
You are at an increased risk of a sports injury if you:
- Play after an extended period of inactivity or poor level of fitness
- Neglect to stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with a predictably higher risk of injury
Young children and older adults are also at a higher risk of experiencing a sports injury. As someone who enjoys being active and who has family members that are in increased danger of a sports injury, whether they are just starting out in t-ball or getting active again by joining the community pickleball league, review the basic recommendations for preventing sports injury to help keep yourself and your Foley, MO family safe from serious sports injuries. If you or a family member suffers a sports injury while being active, trust in the talented Foley, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy right away for a complimentary injury screening or evaluation of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anyone who is active, a sports injury can disrupt your entire schedule and your day-to-day life. Due to physical activity being such a critical facet of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists promote the viewpoint that all of us are safer with the proper sports injury prevention knowledge. Learn more about sports injury prevention by speaking to one of our Foley, MO physical therapists and minimize the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Stiff muscles have a heightened chance of tearing, while warmed up muscles have more flexibility. As you warm up your muscles, the flexibility helps them absorb force more easily and shield themselves better against harsh, sudden motions that can otherwise leads to injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries often occur when you try to do an activity without any experience or training. You need a large amount of practice to perfect the technical skills of any sport, but be sure to learn the basics of appropriate movement technique before taking part in a sport or activity. For example, understanding how to bend your knees while you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is essential that you use the correct equipment while being active. The equipment should not only be appropriate for the sport, but also be in good condition and safe to use. Some examples of equipment are:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety goggles
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is suitable for the activity
- Play in safe conditions
In addition to using the proper equipment to play the sport, it is important that the Foley, MO site where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can happen when the playing surface is wet, slippery, or muddy. Even if you are alert, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, hazardous conditions where you play can lead to a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking adequate water is a fundamental health practice that everyone should do. If you are practicing in physical activity, drink a lot of of water before, during, and after your workout. It is crucial to constantly hydrate during physical activity and afterward to replenish the fluids that you lost through perspiration.
In addition to drinking sufficient water, practicing good nutrition also decreases your chances of getting a sports injury.
As an athlete, one of your first concerns should be eating a balanced diet of nutrient-rich foods and consuming the right number of calories. Even when you take all the proper precautions and always exercise good judgment when participating in a sport or physical activity, from time to time an injury is inevitable. Many things are outside of our control, and injuries are going to happen. If you have a serious sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Foley, MO sports therapists immediately. We will perform an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and develop a tailor-made treatment plan to return you to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As an athlete, we know that living with an injury that prohibits you from physical activity is frustrating to say the least. In order to be able to get back to peak performance, mobility and strength you are accustomed to, you must receive the right sports injury care. When you suffer a sports injury, the knowledgeable Foley, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work closely with you to create an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Foley, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Foley, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your rehabilitation from your sports injury. When dealing with a sports injury, it is important to get proper care from a knowledgeable professional right away. When you have been hurt while playing sports, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Foley, MO sports therapy team is ready to help return you to full strength and get you back to doing the activities you love. Learn more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Foley, MO location nearest you.