Sports Injury Parkway, MO. A sports injury can occur when you are playing a competitive sport, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other kinds of physical activity. You don’t have to be a professional athlete to experience a sports injury. Actually, most sports injuries happen to recreational athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Parkway, MO sports therapists can help you recuperate. Axes Physical Therapy has has fourteen locally owned and operated facilities, each with its own group of physical and occupational therapists. If you are injured while participating in physical activities, our team can treat your sports injury and safely get you back to the sports you love. Learn more about the Parkway, MO sports injury treatment location most convenient for you, learn more about Axes and why we are the leader in sports injury treatment in the Parkway, MO area or contact us now to schedule an assessment of your sports injury with a professional physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries vary greatly in terms of seriousness, necessary treatment and effect on the body and ability to remain active. Our Parkway, MO physical and occupational therapists are experts in treating all varieties of sports injuries. With decades of experience, extensive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in trustworthy hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Parkway, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will lead you through your rehabilitation and make certain that you are able to return to the sports and activities you enjoy in no time.
As skilled sports therapists serving all of Parkway, MO, there are few sports injuries we have not seen or successfully treated. The following are some of the some of the sports injuries we see the most of.
- Sprains – A sprain happens when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a muscle or tendon is torn or overstretched, you experience a strain, which can often be mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon suffers from overuse, it can become swollen and sore, restricting activity. Long term or chronic swelling of a tendon can bring about degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, leading to tendonitis.
- Inflamed joints or tissue – Swelling is a common reaction to many sports injuries and can lead to soreness and weakness.
- Broken bones – Fractures are caused by overuse or trauma caused by an outside force, and can include stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A dislocation sports injury takes place when a bone is forced out of its socket.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a significant but potentially at-risk joint that can suffer from a variety of different sports injuries leading to torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and broken bones.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The rotator cuff is a group of muscles and tendons that prevents shoulder dislocations while still allowing full range of motion. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a significantly strong and flexible tendon which connects your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are common Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that typically affects runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become swollen, causing pain.
Our sports injury treatment team can help you recover from your sports injury. As an expert in motion and movement disorders, your Parkway, MO sports therapist will use their experience and expertise toward your recovery. Applying evidence-based practices, we will implement a tailored treatment plan that will permit you to safely rehabilitate from your sports injury and restore your strength and mobility so that you can get back to the sports you love while preventing future injury.
If you have a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to restore you to excellent physical health and return you to your highest performance level. Work with a qualified Parkway, MO physical therapist to heal from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
Anybody can experience a sports injury while being active. That is why it is of utmost importance to look after our bodies both on and off the field and to take the necessary precautions while playing sports or training. Remember to warm up before physical activity and never overwork your body, especially if you’ve been inactive. And if you do experience a sports injury, get in touch with the Parkway, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will lead you through you in your rehabilitation and return you to the physical activities you love as soon as possible.
You have a heightened risk of a sports injury if you:
- Participate after not being active for a while or poor level of fitness
- Neglect to stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with a predictably higher chance of injury
Age also plays a factor in sports injuries, as younger children and the elderly are at higher risk. As someone who enjoys being active and who has loved ones that are in increased danger of a sports injury, whether they are just starting out in t-ball or getting active again by tearing up the recreation center’s pickleball court, consider the basic guidelines for sports injury prevention to help keep yourself and your Parkway, MO family safe from serious sports injuries. If you or someone you care about suffers a sports injury while playing a sport, turn to the skilled Parkway, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy now for a complimentary injury screening or assessment of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anyone who engages in physical activity, a sports injury can upset your entire routine and your day-to-day life. As physical activity is such a vital element of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists advocate for the viewpoint that all of us are safer with the appropriate sports injury prevention knowledge. Learn more about sports injury prevention by speaking to one of our Parkway, MO physical therapists and minimize the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Stiff muscles are at a heightened chance of tearing, while warm muscles have more flexibility. As you warm up your muscles, the flexibility allows them to absorb movement more easily and shield themselves better against harsh, sudden motions that can otherwise leads to injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries frequently happen when you attempt to do an activity without any experience or training. Any athlete needs a lot of practice to perfect the technical aspects of any sport, but be sure to learn the basics of appropriate movement technique before taking part in a sport or activity. For example, understanding how to bend your knees when you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is vital that you use the right equipment while you are active. The equipment should not only be correct for the sport, but also be functioning properly and safe to use. This includes the following:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety goggles
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is right for the activity
- Play in a safe environment
Other than having the correct equipment to play the sport, it is important that the Parkway, MO setting where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can occur when the surface your are playing on is wet, slippery, or muddy. Even if you are cautious, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, hazardous conditions around you can lead to a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking sufficient water is a fundamental health practice that everyone should do. If you are practicing in physical activity, drink a lot of of water before, during, and after your workout. It is crucial to regularly hydrate while you are being active and afterward to replenish the water that you lost through perspiring.
In addition to drinking enough water, practicing good nutrition also decreases your chances of suffering a sports injury.
Eating a balanced, nutritious diet and balancing your caloric intake is a priority for any athlete. Even with precautionary measures and practicing good judgement when participating in a sport or being active, every now and then an injury is not preventable. We cannot always control the world around us, and injuries are going to happen. If you suffer a severe sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Parkway, MO sports therapists today. We will take you through an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and design a personalized treatment plan to restore you to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As someone who is active, we know that living with an injury that prohibits you from physical activity is incredibly frustrating. In order to be able to get back to peak performance, mobility and strength you are used to, you must receive the right sports injury treatment. When you suffer a sports injury, the qualified Parkway, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work with you step-by-step to design an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Parkway, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Parkway, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your recovery from your sports injury. When dealing with a sports injury, it is vital to get proper treatment from a skilled professional right away. After you have been injured while being active, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Parkway, MO sports therapy team is ready to help get you back to full strength and get you back to playing the sports you love. Find out more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Parkway, MO location nearest you.