Sports Injury Lemay, MO. A sports injury can take place when you are playing a sport competitively, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other varieties of physical activity. Professional athletes aren’t the only people who can experience a sports injury. In truth, the majority of sports injuries happen to recreational athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Lemay, MO sports therapists can help you recuperate. Axes Physical Therapy has a network of physical and occupational therapists treating sports injuries at any of our fourteen locally owned and operated facilities. After you are injured while playing a sport, our team can treat your sports injury and safely get you back to the sports you love. Find out more about the Lemay, MO sports injury treatment location closest you, learn more about Axes and why we are the leader in sports injury treatment in the Lemay, MO area or contact us now to schedule an analysis of your sports injury with a professional physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries vary widely in terms of seriousness, required treatment and effect on the body and ability to remain active. Our Lemay, MO physical and occupational therapists are experts in treating all types of sports injuries. With decades of experience, exhaustive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in deft hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Lemay, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will guide you in your recovery and ensure that you are able to return to the sports and activities you love in no time.
As skilled sports therapists serving all of Lemay, MO, we have seen and successfully treated almost every kind of sports injury. The following are some of the most common sports injury conditions we work with.
- Sprains – A sprain happens when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a tendon or muscle is torn or overstretched, you experience a strain, which are sometimes mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon suffers from overuse, it can cause swelling and become painful, limiting activity. Long term or chronic swelling of a tendon can result in degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, resulting in tendonitis.
- Swollen joints or tissue – Swelling is a common consequence of many sports injuries and can result in pain and weakness.
- Broken bones – Overuse and force from accidents can cause fractures, including stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A sports injury can force a bone out of its socket, dislocating it.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a major but potentially vulnerable joint that can be affected by a variety of different sports injuries resulting in torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and fracture.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The rotator cuff is a network of muscles and tendons that prevents your arm from popping out of the shoulder socket while still allowing your shoulder to move in all directions. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a particularly strong and flexible tendon which connects your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are typical Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that typically affects runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become swollen, causing soreness.
If you suffer a sports injury, our sports injury treatment team can help. As an expert in movement and movement disorders, your Lemay, MO sports therapist will use their experience and expertise toward your recovery. Utilizing evidence-based practices, we will design a tailored treatment plan that will permit you to safely recover from your sports injury and bring back your strength and mobility so that you can get back to the activities you love while protecting against future injury.
If you suffer a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to restore you to favorable physical health and get you back to to your maximum performance level. Work with a qualified Lemay, MO physical therapist to heal from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
Anyone. For that reason it is vital to protect our bodies both on and off the field and to take the requisite precautions while playing sports or working out. Remember to warm up before physical activity and never overwork your body, particularly if you’ve been inactive. And if you do experience a sports injury, get in touch with the Lemay, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will lead you through you in your recovery and get you back to the sports you love as soon as possible.
You are at a heightened risk of a sports injury if you:
- Participate after an extended period of inactivity or poor level of fitness
- Neglect to stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with an inherently higher risk of injury
Age also plays a factor in sports injuries, as younger children and the elderly are at higher risk. As someone who enjoys being active and who has loved ones that are more susceptible to sports injury, whether they are just now learning how to dribble or getting active again by joining the community pickleball league, review the basic recommendations for sports injury prevention to help keep yourself and your Lemay, MO family safe from serious sports injuries. If you or a loved one suffers a sports injury while participating in a sport, trust in the experienced Lemay, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy immediately for a free injury screening or assessment of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or someone who is active, a sports injury can upset your entire schedule and your day-to-day life. As physical activity is such a critical part of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists promote the belief that every one of us is safer with the appropriate sports injury prevention knowledge. Discover more about sports injury prevention by contacting one of our Lemay, MO physical therapists and lower the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Cold muscles are at a higher risk of tearing, while warmed up muscles have more flexibility. As your muscles warm up, the flexibility lets them absorb force more effectively and be more resilient against jarring, sudden movements that can otherwise cause injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries commonly take place when you attempt to participate in a sport without any experience or training. Any athlete needs a large amount of practice to perfect the technical skills of any sport, but be sure to learn the fundamentals of proper movement technique before playing a sport or activity. For example, understanding how to bend your knees while you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is very important that you use suitable equipment while you are active. The equipment should not only be appropriate for the sport, but also be in good condition and safe to use. Some examples of equipment are:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety glasses
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is suitable for the activity
- Play in a safe environment
In addition to using the correct equipment to play the sport, it is crucial that the Lemay, MO site where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can happen when the surface of the court is wet and slippery or the turf is muddy. Even if you are conscientious, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, hazardous conditions where you play can result in a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking enough water is a basic health practice that everyone should do. If you are participating in in physical activity, drink a lot of of water before, during, and after your workout. It is important to consistently hydrate while you are being active and afterward to replenish the water that you lost through perspiration.
In addition to drinking sufficient water, practicing good nutrition also reduces your chances of suffering a sports injury.
Eating a balanced, nutritious diet and balancing your caloric intake is a priority for any athlete. Even with precautionary measures and practicing good judgement when playing a sport or physical activity, sometimes an injury is impossible to avoid. We cannot always control the world around us, and injuries are going to happen. If you have a serious sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Lemay, MO sports therapists today. We will perform an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and create a personalized treatment plan to return you to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As an athlete, we know that living with an activity-limiting injury is incredibly frustrating. In order to be able to get back to peak performance, mobility and strength you are accustomed to, you must receive the right sports injury care. When you suffer a sports injury, the knowledgeable Lemay, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work with you step-by-step to formulate an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Lemay, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Lemay, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your recovery from your sports injury. When handling a sports injury, it is important to get proper care from a skilled professional immediately. After you have been hurt while being active, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Lemay, MO sports therapy team is ready to help get you back to full strength and get you back to playing the sports you love. Discover more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Lemay, MO location nearest you.