Sports Injury Des Peres, MO. A sports injury can happen when you are playing a sport competitively, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other sorts of physical activity. Professional athletes aren’t the only people who can experience a sports injury. In truth, most sports injuries occur in non-professional athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Des Peres, MO sports therapists can help you heal. Axes Physical Therapy has a network of physical and occupational therapists treating sports injuries at any of our fourteen locally owned and operated facilities. When you are injured while participating in physical activities, our team can treat your sports injury and safely get you back to the sports you enjoy. Find out more about the Des Peres, MO sports injury treatment location closest you, learn more about Axes and what makes us the leader in sports injury care in the Des Peres, MO area or contact us now to schedule an assessment of your sports injury with a qualified physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries vary widely in terms of severity, necessary treatment and impact on the body and ability to stay active. Our Des Peres, MO physical and occupational therapists are experts in treating all kinds of sports injuries. With decades of experience, exhaustive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in able hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Des Peres, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will lead you through your recovery and make certain that you are able to return to the sports and activities you love soon.
As accomplished sports therapists serving all of Des Peres, MO, we have seen and successfully treated almost every type of sports injury. Below are some of the most common sports injury conditions we work with.
- Sprains – A sprain happens when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a muscle or tendon is torn or overstretched, you have a strain, which are sometimes mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon is overused, it can cause inflammation and become painful, limiting activity. Long term or chronic swelling of a tendon can cause degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, resulting in tendonitis.
- Inflamed joints or tissue – Swelling is a common reaction to many sports injuries and can result in soreness and weakness.
- Broken bones – Overuse and trauma from accidents can cause fractures, for example stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A dislocation sports injury happens when a bone is forced out of its socket.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a major but potentially vulnerable joint that can experience a variety of different sports injuries resulting in torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and broken bones.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The muscles responsible for allowing your shoulder to have full range of motion while keeping it in place make up the rotator cuff. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is an especially strong and flexible tendon connecting your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are typical Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that typically affects runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become swollen, causing soreness.
Our sports injury treatment team can help you recover from your sports injury. As an expert in movement and movement disorders, your Des Peres, MO sports therapist will apply their experience and knowledge toward your recovery. Using evidence-based practices, we will develop a tailored treatment plan that will allow you to safely rehabilitate from your sports injury and return your strength and mobility so that you can get back to the activities you love while preventing future injury.
If you experience a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to return you to optimal physical health and get you back to to your highest performance level. Work with a qualified Des Peres, MO physical therapist to heal from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
Anyone. That is why it is vital to take care of our bodies both on and off the field and to take the necessary precautions while playing sports or working out. Warming up is always an important first step, and do not overwork your body, especially if you’ve been inactive. And if you do suffer a sports injury, get in touch with the Des Peres, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will lead you through you in your rehabilitation and return you to the activities you love as soon as possible.
You have a heightened risk of a sports injury if you:
- Participate after an extended period of inactivity or poor level of fitness
- Neglect to stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with an inherently higher risk of injury
Age also plays a factor in sports injuries, as younger children and the elderly are at higher risk. As someone who enjoys being active and who has loved ones that are more susceptible to sports injury, whether they are just now learning how to dribble or getting active again by joining the community pickleball league, review the basic guidelines for sports injury prevention to help keep yourself and your Des Peres, MO family safe from serious sports injuries. If you or a loved one suffers a sports injury while participating in a sport, turn to the skilled Des Peres, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy right away for a free injury screening or analysis of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anyone who is active, a sports injury can interrupt your entire routine and your day-to-day life. Due to physical activity being such a vital part of your health and wellness, sports injury physical therapists promote the view that we all are safer with the appropriate sports injury prevention knowledge. Find out more about sports injury prevention by contacting one of our Des Peres, MO physical therapists and minimize the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Cold muscles have a higher chance of tearing, while warmed up muscles have more flexibility. As you warm up your muscles, the flexibility allows them to absorb force more easily and be more resilient against harsh, sudden movements that can otherwise result in injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries often happen when you try to participate in a sport without any experience or training. You need a large amount of practice to perfect the technical aspects of any sport, but be sure to learn the basics of proper movement technique before playing a sport or activity. For example, understanding how to bend your knees as you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is vital that you use the correct equipment while being active. The equipment should not only be suitable for the sport, but also be in good condition and safe to use. This includes the following:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety glasses
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is appropriate for the activity
- Play in safe conditions
In addition to using the correct gear to play the sport, it is important that the Des Peres, MO location where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can occur when the surface of the court is wet and slippery or the turf is muddy. Even if you are cautious, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, unsafe conditions around you can lead to a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking enough water is a basic health practice that everyone should do. If you are engaging in physical activity, drink plenty of water before, during, and after your workout. It is crucial to regularly hydrate while you are being active and afterward to replenish the water that you lost through perspiring.
In addition to staying hydrated, practicing good nutrition also lessens your risk of a sports injury.
As an athlete, one of your first concerns should be eating a balanced diet of nutrient-rich foods and getting the right number of calories. Even with precautionary measures and practicing good judgement when participating in a sport or physical activity, at times an injury is unavoidable. Many things are outside of our control, and injuries are part of being an athlete. If you experience a serious sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Des Peres, MO sports therapists right away. We will conduct an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and develop a custom treatment plan to return you to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As an athlete, we know that living with an activity-limiting injury is frustrating to say the least. In order to be able to get back to peak performance, mobility and strength you are accustomed to, you must receive the right sports injury care. When you suffer a sports injury, the experienced Des Peres, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work closely with you to create an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Des Peres, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Des Peres, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your recuperation from your sports injury. When treating a sports injury, it is important to get proper treatment from a experienced professional straight away. After you have been hurt while playing sports, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Des Peres, MO sports therapy team is ready to help get you back to full strength and get you back to playing the sports you love. Discover more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Des Peres, MO location nearest you.