Sports Injury Meacham Park, MO. A sports injury can occur when you are playing a sport competitively, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other forms of physical activity. Professional athletes aren’t the only people who can experience a sports injury. In fact, most sports injuries occur in recreational athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Meacham Park, MO sports therapists can help you heal. Axes Physical Therapy has has fourteen locally owned and operated facilities, each with its own group of physical and occupational therapists. After you are injured while participating in physical activities, our team can treat your sports injury and safely return you to the activities you love. Find out more about the Meacham Park, MO sports injury treatment location most convenient for you, learn more about Axes and what makes us the leader in sports injury care in the Meacham Park, MO area or contact us now to schedule an evaluation of your sports injury with a certified physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries vary widely in terms of seriousness, needed treatment and effect on the body and ability to remain active. Our Meacham Park, MO physical and occupational therapists are specialists in treating all forms of sports injuries. With decades of experience, extensive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in trustworthy hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Meacham Park, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will lead you through your rehabilitation and ensure that you are able to return to the sports and activities you love in no time.
As skilled sports therapists serving all of Meacham Park, MO, there are hardly any sports injuries we have not seen or successfully treated. The following are some of the some of the sports injuries we see the most of.
- Sprains – A sprain happens when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a tendon or muscle is torn or overstretched, you experience a strain, which can often be mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon suffers from overuse, it can become inflamed and sore, restricting activity. Long term or chronic swelling of a tendon can lead to degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, causing tendonitis.
- Swollen joints or tissue – Inflammation is a common outcome of a lot of sports injuries and can cause soreness and weakness.
- Broken bones – Fractures are caused by overuse or trauma caused by an outside force, and can include stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A sports injury can force a bone out of its socket, dislocating it.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a major but potentially at-risk joint that can be affected by a number of different sports injuries bringing about torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and fracture.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The rotator cuff is a network of muscles and tendons that prohibits shoulder dislocations while still allowing your shoulder to move in all directions. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a very strong and flexible tendon which connects your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are common Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that is most common in runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become swollen, causing soreness.
If you experience a sports injury, our sports injury treatment team can help. As an expert in motion and movement disorders, your Meacham Park, MO sports therapist will apply their experience and knowledge toward your recovery. Using evidence-based practices, we will create a tailored treatment plan that will permit you to safely rehabilitate from your sports injury and restore your strength and mobility so that you can get back to the activities you love while safeguarding against future injury.
If you experience a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to get you back to optimal physical health and return you to your optimum performance level. Work with a qualified Meacham Park, MO physical therapist to recuperate from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
Anyone. That is why it is so important to look after our bodies both on and off the field and to take the necessary precautions while playing sports or training. Warming up is always an important first step, and never overwork your body, especially if you haven’t been active. And if you do experience a sports injury, reach out to the Meacham Park, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will guide you in you in your recovery and get you back to the activities you love as soon as possible.
You are at a heightened risk of a sports injury if you:
- Play after not being active for a while or poor level of fitness
- Neglect to stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with an inherently higher risk of injury
Young children and older adults are also at a higher risk of experiencing a sports injury. As someone who enjoys being active and who has loved ones that are at a higher risk of sports injury, whether they are strapping on cleats for the first time or getting active again by joining the community pickleball league, consider the basic recommendations for sports injury prevention to help keep yourself and your Meacham Park, MO family safe from serious sports injuries. If you or a loved one suffers a sports injury while playing a sport, turn to the talented Meacham Park, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy immediately for a free injury screening or evaluation of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anybody who engages in physical activity, a sports injury can interrupt your whole routine and your day-to-day life. As physical activity is such a important part of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists champion the belief that we all are safer with the right sports injury prevention knowledge. Learn more about sports injury prevention by calling one of our Meacham Park, MO physical therapists and reduce the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Inactive muscles are at a higher chance of tearing, while warmed up muscles are more flexible. As your muscles warm up, the flexibility lets them absorb movement more easily and be more resilient against jarring, sudden motions that can otherwise leads to injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries often happen when you attempt to participate in a sport without any experience or training. It takes a great deal of practice to perfect the technical aspects of any sport, but be sure to learn the basics of appropriate movement technique before playing a sport or activity. For example, knowing to bend your knees when you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is vital that you use the correct equipment when you are active. The equipment should not only be correct for the sport, but also be in good condition and safe to use. This includes the following:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety goggles
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is right for the activity
- Play in a safe environment
In addition to using the correct equipment to play the sport, it is crucial that the Meacham Park, MO site where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can happen when the surface of the court is wet and slippery or the turf is muddy. Even if you are conscientious, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, unsafe conditions where you play can result in a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking adequate water is a basic health practice that everyone should do. If you are practicing in physical activity, drink plenty of water before, during, and after your workout. It is crucial to consistently hydrate while you are being active and afterward to replace the water you have lost through perspiration.
In addition to staying hydrated, practicing good nutrition also lessens your risk of a sports injury.
Eating a balanced, nutritious diet and monitoring your caloric intake is a priority for any athlete. Even with precautionary measures and practicing good judgement when playing a sport or being active, from time to time an injury is inevitable. We cannot always control the world around us, and injuries are going to happen. If you have a severe sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Meacham Park, MO sports therapists immediately. We will perform an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and put together a custom treatment plan to get you back to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As an athlete, we know that living with an injury that prohibits you from physical activity is frustrating to say the least. In order to be able to get back to the level of performance, mobility and strength you previously had, you must receive the right sports injury treatment. When you suffer a sports injury, the qualified Meacham Park, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work with you step-by-step to formulate an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Meacham Park, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Meacham Park, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your rehabilitation from your sports injury. When treating a sports injury, it is important to get proper treatment from a qualified professional right away. When you have been hurt while being active, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Meacham Park, MO sports therapy team is ready to help get you back to full strength and get you back to doing the activities you love. Find out more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Meacham Park, MO location nearest you.