Sports Injury Florissant, MO. A sports injury can happen when you are playing a sport competitively, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other varieties of physical activity. Professional athletes aren’t the only people who can experience a sports injury. In truth, the majority of sports injuries happen to recreational athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Florissant, MO sports therapists can help you heal. Axes Physical Therapy has a network of physical and occupational therapists treating sports injuries at any of our fourteen locally owned and operated facilities. If you are injured while participating in physical activities, our team can treat your sports injury and safely return you to the activities you enjoy. Find out more about the Florissant, MO sports injury treatment location closest you, learn more about Axes and what makes us the leader in sports injury care in the Florissant, MO area or contact us now to schedule an assessment of your sports injury with a certified physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries vary greatly in terms of seriousness, needed treatment and effect on the body and ability to stay active. Our Florissant, MO physical and occupational therapists are specialists in treating all forms of sports injuries. With decades of experience, extensive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in capable hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Florissant, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will guide you in your recuperation and ensure that you are able to return to the sports and activities you enjoy soon.
As experienced sports therapists serving all of Florissant, MO, we have seen and successfully treated almost every type of sports injury. Listed below are some of the some of the sports injuries we see the most of.
- Sprains – A sprain occurs when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a muscle or tendon is torn or overstretched, you experience a strain, which are sometimes mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon suffers from overuse, it can become inflamed and sore, prohibiting activity. Long term or chronic inflammation of a tendon can result in degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, resulting in tendonitis.
- Inflamed joints or tissue – Swelling is a common reaction to a lot of sports injuries and can lead to soreness and weakness.
- Broken bones – Fractures are caused by overuse or trauma caused by an outside force, and can include stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A sports injury can force a bone out of its socket, dislocating it.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a vital but potentially vulnerable joint that can suffer from many different sports injuries leading to torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and fracture.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The rotator cuff is a group of muscles and tendons that prevents your arm from popping out of the shoulder socket while still allowing full range of motion. Impingement and/ or tears are the most common rotator cuff sports injuries.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a significantly strong and flexible tendon connecting your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are common Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that is most common in runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become inflamed, causing pain.
If you experience a sports injury, our sports injury treatment team can help. As an expert in motion and movement disorders, your Florissant, MO sports therapist will use their experience and knowledge toward your recovery. Using evidence-based practices, we will create a tailored treatment plan that will allow you to safely recover from your sports injury and bring back your strength and movement so that you can get back to the sports you love while protecting against future injury.
If you suffer a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to return you to excellent physical health and restore you to your maximum performance level. Work with a qualified Florissant, MO physical therapist to recover from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
Anybody can experience a sports injury while participating in physical activities. That is why it is so important to look after our bodies both on and off the field and to take the requisite precautions while playing sports or training. Remember to warm up before physical activity and never overwork your body, particularly if you haven’t been active. And if you do experience a sports injury, reach out to the Florissant, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will guide you in you in your rehabilitation and get you back to the physical activities you love as soon as possible.
You have a heightened risk of a sports injury if you:
- Participate after not being active for a while or poor level of fitness
- Do not stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with an inherently higher risk of injury
Young children and older adults are also at a higher risk of experiencing a sports injury. As someone who enjoys being active and who has loved ones that are in increased danger of a sports injury, whether they are just starting out in t-ball or getting active again by tearing up the recreation center’s pickleball court, keep in mind the basic recommendations for preventing sports injury to help keep yourself and your Florissant, MO family safe from serious sports injuries. If you or someone you love suffers a sports injury while playing a sport, turn to the talented Florissant, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy today for a free injury screening or evaluation of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anyone who is active, a sports injury can upset your whole routine and your day-to-day life. Due to physical activity being such a critical facet of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists promote the view that we all are safer with the proper sports injury prevention knowledge. Learn more about sports injury prevention by contacting one of our Florissant, MO physical therapists and lessen the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Cold muscles have a heightened risk of tearing, while warm muscles are more flexible. As your muscles warm up, the flexibility lets them absorb movement more effectively and protect themselves better against harsh, sudden movements that can otherwise result in injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries commonly occur when you attempt to do an activity without any experience or training. It takes a great deal of practice to perfect the technical aspects of any sport, but be sure to learn the basics of proper movement technique before participating in a sport or activity. For example, knowing to bend your knees when you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is very important that you use the appropriate equipment while you are active. The equipment should not only be suitable for the sport, but also be in good condition and safe to use. Some examples of equipment are:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety goggles
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is appropriate for the activity
- Play in a safe environment
Other than having the correct gear to play the sport, it is crucial that the Florissant, MO location where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can occur when the surface of the court is wet and slippery or the turf is muddy. Even if you are alert, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, hazardous conditions where you play can cause a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking adequate water is a basic health practice that everyone should do. When engaging in physical activity, drink plenty of water before, during, and after your workout. It is vital to constantly hydrate while you are being active and afterward to replenish the water that you lost through sweating.
In addition to staying hydrated, practicing good nutrition also reduces your chances of experiencing a sports injury.
Eating a balanced, nutritious diet and monitoring your caloric intake is a priority for any athlete. Even when you take all the proper precautions and always exercise good judgment when participating in a sport or being active, at times an injury is impossible to avoid. We cannot always control the world around us, and injuries are going to happen. If you have a serious sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Florissant, MO sports therapists today. We will conduct an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and design a custom treatment plan to return you to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As someone who is active, we know that living with an activity-limiting injury is more than frustrating. In order to be able to get back to peak performance, mobility and strength you are used to, you must receive the right sports injury treatment. When you experience a sports injury, the experienced Florissant, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work closely with you to formulate an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Florissant, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Florissant, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your rehabilitation from your sports injury. When dealing with a sports injury, it is important to get proper care from a experienced professional straight away. When you have been hurt while being active, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Florissant, MO sports therapy team is ready to help get you back to full strength and get you back to doing the activities you love. Learn more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Florissant, MO location nearest you.