Sports Injury Hillsboro, MO. A sports injury can occur when you are playing a competitive sport, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other varieties of physical activity. Professional athletes aren’t the only people who can experience a sports injury. In reality, most sports injuries happen to recreational athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Hillsboro, MO sports therapists can help you heal. Axes Physical Therapy has a network of physical and occupational therapists treating sports injuries at any of our fourteen locally owned and operated facilities. After you are injured while playing a sport, our team can treat your sports injury and safely return you to the activities you love. Discover the Hillsboro, MO sports injury treatment location most convenient for you, learn more about Axes and why we are the leader in sports injury care in the Hillsboro, MO area or contact us now to schedule an evaluation of your sports injury with a qualified physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries differ widely in terms of seriousness, required treatment and impact on the body and ability to keep active. Our Hillsboro, MO physical and occupational therapists specialize in treating all kinds of sports injuries. With decades of experience, exhaustive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in deft hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Hillsboro, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will lead you through your rehabilitation and ensure that you will be back to the sports and activities you love soon.
As skilled sports therapists serving all of Hillsboro, MO, we have seen and successfully treated almost every kind of sports injury. The following are some of the most common sports injury conditions we work with.
- Sprains – A sprain happens when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a tendon or muscle is torn or overstretched, you suffer a strain, which can often be mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon suffers from overuse, it can cause swelling and become sore, prohibiting activity. Long term or chronic inflammation of a tendon can lead to degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, leading to tendonitis.
- Inflamed joints or tissue – Swelling is a common reaction to a lot of sports injuries and can lead to soreness and weakness.
- Broken bones – Overuse and trauma from accidents can cause fractures, for example stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A dislocation sports injury happens when a bone is forced out of its socket.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a significant but potentially vulnerable joint that can suffer from a variety of different sports injuries leading to torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and fracture.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The muscles responsible for allowing your shoulder to have full range of motion while keeping it in place make up the rotator cuff. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a very strong and flexible tendon which connects your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are common Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that is most common in runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become swollen, causing pain.
Our sports injury treatment team can help you recover from your sports injury. As an expert in movement and movement disorders, your Hillsboro, MO sports therapist will use their experience and expertise toward your recovery. Utilizing evidence-based practices, we will develop a tailored treatment plan that will permit you to safely rehabilitate from your sports injury and return your strength and movement so that you can get back to the activities you love while protecting against future injury.
If you suffer a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to restore you to optimal physical health and get you back to to your highest performance level. Work with a qualified Hillsboro, MO physical therapist to recover from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
Anybody can experience a sports injury while being active. For that reason it is so important to take care of our bodies both on and off the field and to take the needed precautions while playing sports or training. Warming up is always an important first step, and do not overexert yourself, especially if you haven’t been active. And if you do suffer a sports injury, reach out to the Hillsboro, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will lead you through you in your rehabilitation and return you to the physical activities you love as soon as possible.
You are at an increased risk of a sports injury if you:
- Participate after not being active for a while or poor level of fitness
- Do not stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with an inherently higher risk of injury
Age also plays a factor in sports injuries, as younger children and the elderly are at higher risk. As someone who enjoys being active and who has family members that are more susceptible to sports injury, whether they are just now learning how to dribble or getting active again by tearing up the recreation center’s pickleball court, keep in mind the basic instructions for sports injury prevention to help keep yourself and your Hillsboro, MO family safe from severe sports injuries. If you or someone you you know suffers a sports injury while participating in a sport, turn to the experienced Hillsboro, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy now for a complimentary injury screening or assessment of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anyone who is active, a sports injury can interrupt your whole schedule and your day-to-day life. Due to physical activity being such a vital facet of your health and wellness, sports injury physical therapists promote the belief that all of us are safer with the correct sports injury prevention knowledge. Discover more about sports injury prevention by calling one of our Hillsboro, MO physical therapists and lower the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Stiff muscles have a heightened chance of tearing, while warmed up muscles are more flexible. As you warm up your muscles, the flexibility allows them to absorb impacts more effectively and be more resilient against harsh, sudden motions that can otherwise result in injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries commonly occur when you attempt to do an activity without any experience or training. You need a large amount of practice to perfect the technical aspects of any sport, but be sure to learn the foundations of appropriate movement technique before playing a sport or activity. For example, understanding how to bend your knees when you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is very important that you use suitable equipment when being active. The equipment should not only be suitable for the sport, but also be working properly and safe to use. This includes the following:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety goggles
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is appropriate for the activity
- Play in a safe environment
Other than using the proper equipment to play the sport, it is important that the Hillsboro, MO location where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can happen when the playing surface is wet, slippery, or muddy. Even if you are cautious, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, hazardous conditions around you can cause a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking adequate water is a basic health practice that everyone should do. If you are participating in in physical activity, drink a lot of of water before, during, and after your workout. It is crucial to regularly hydrate while you are being active and afterward to replenish the water you have lost through perspiring.
In addition to staying hydrated, practicing good nutrition also reduces your risk of a sports injury.
As an athlete, one of your first concerns should be eating a balanced diet of nutrient-rich foods and getting the right number of calories. Even with precautionary measures and practicing good judgement when playing a sport or being active, every now and then an injury is not preventable. We cannot always control the world around us, and injuries are part of being an athlete. If you suffer an acute sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Hillsboro, MO sports therapists today. We will perform an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and develop a tailor-made treatment plan to restore you to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As someone who is active, we know that living with an activity-limiting injury is frustrating to say the least. In order to be able to get back to the level of performance, mobility and strength you previously had, you must receive the right sports injury treatment. When you experience a sports injury, the knowledgeable Hillsboro, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work with you step-by-step to design an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Hillsboro, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Hillsboro, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your rehabilitation from your sports injury. When dealing with a sports injury, it is vital to get proper treatment from a skilled professional immediately. After you have been injured while playing sports, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Hillsboro, MO sports therapy team is ready to help get you back to full strength and get you back to doing the activities you love. Discover more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Hillsboro, MO location nearest you.