Sports Injury Ellisville, MO. A sports injury can take place when you are playing a competitive sport, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other types of physical activity. You don’t have to be a professional athlete to experience a sports injury. In truth, most sports injuries occur in non-professional athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our Ellisville, MO sports therapists can help you heal. Axes Physical Therapy has a network of physical and occupational therapists treating sports injuries at any of our fourteen locally owned and operated facilities. If you are injured while being physically active, our team can treat your sports injury and safely return you to the sports you love. Discover the Ellisville, MO sports injury treatment location closest you, learn more about Axes and why we are the leader in sports injury treatment in the Ellisville, MO area or contact us now to schedule an evaluation of your sports injury with a professional physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries differ widely in terms of severity, required treatment and effect on the body and ability to stay active. Our Ellisville, MO physical and occupational therapists specialize in treating all sorts of sports injuries. With decades of experience, exhaustive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in trustworthy hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the Ellisville, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will guide you in your recuperation and ensure that you will be back to the sports and activities you enjoy quickly.
As skillful sports therapists serving all of Ellisville, MO, we have seen and successfully treated almost every kind of sports injury. Below are some of the most common sports injury conditions we work with.
- Sprains – A sprain happens when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a muscle or tendon is torn or overstretched, you experience a strain, which can often be mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon is overused, it can cause swelling and become sore, limiting activity. Long term or chronic swelling of a tendon can lead to degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, causing tendonitis.
- Swollen joints or tissue – Inflammation is a common outcome of many sports injuries and can result in pain and weakness.
- Broken bones – Fractures are caused by overuse or trauma caused by an outside force, and can include stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A dislocation sports injury takes place when a bone is forced out of its socket.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a significant but potentially vulnerable joint that can be affected by many different sports injuries leading to torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and fracture.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The rotator cuff is a group of muscles and tendons that disallows your arm from popping out of the shoulder socket while still allowing your shoulder to move in all directions. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is an extremely strong and flexible tendon which connects your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are typical Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that typically affects runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become inflamed, causing pain.
If you suffer a sports injury, our sports injury treatment team can help. As an expert in movement and movement disorders, your Ellisville, MO sports therapist will apply their experience and knowledge toward your recovery. Applying evidence-based practices, we will implement a tailored treatment plan that will permit you to safely recover from your sports injury and bring back your strength and mobility so that you can get back to the sports you love while safeguarding against future injury.
If you experience a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to return you to optimal physical health and restore you to your highest performance level. Work with a qualified Ellisville, MO physical therapist to heal from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
A sports injury happen to anybody who is being active or playing. That is why it is so important to protect our bodies both on and off the field and to take the necessary precautions while participating in sports or training. Warming up is always an important first step, and never overwork your body, particularly if you’ve been inactive. And if you do suffer a sports injury, contact the Ellisville, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will lead you through you in your rehabilitation and return you to the physical activities you love as soon as possible.
You are at an increased risk of a sports injury if you:
- Play after an extended period of inactivity or poor level of fitness
- Do not stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with an inherently higher chance of injury
Age also plays a factor in sports injuries, as younger children and the elderly are at higher risk. As someone who enjoys being active and who has loved ones that are at a higher risk of sports injury, whether they are strapping on cleats for the first time or getting active again by tearing up the recreation center’s pickleball court, consider the basic strategies for sports injury prevention to help keep yourself and your Ellisville, MO family safe from serious sports injuries. If you or someone you you know suffers a sports injury while playing a sport, trust in the experienced Ellisville, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy now for a free injury screening or assessment of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anyone who is active, a sports injury can disrupt your entire routine and your daily life. Because physical activity is such a vital aspect of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists advocate for the view that all of us are safer with the appropriate sports injury prevention knowledge. Discover more about sports injury prevention by contacting one of our Ellisville, MO physical therapists and minimize the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Stiff muscles have a heightened risk of tearing, while warmed up muscles have more flexibility. As your muscles warm up, the flexibility allows them to absorb impacts more effectively and protect themselves better against harsh, sudden movements that can otherwise cause injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries commonly happen when you try to participate in a sport without any experience or training. Any athlete requires a large amount of practice to perfect the technical skills of any sport, but be sure to learn the basics of appropriate movement technique before playing a sport or activity. For example, understanding how to bend your knees as you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is very important that you use the correct equipment when being active. The equipment should not only be appropriate for the sport, but also be in good condition and safe to use. This includes the following:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety goggles
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is right for the activity
- Play in safe conditions
In addition to having the appropriate gear to play the sport, it is important that the Ellisville, MO location where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can occur when the surface of the court is wet and slippery or the turf is muddy. Even if you are alert, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, hazardous conditions where you play can result in a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking enough water is a fundamental health practice that everyone should do. If you are participating in in physical activity, drink a lot of of water before, during, and after your workout. It is important to constantly hydrate while you are being active and afterward to replace the water that you lost through perspiration.
In addition to staying hydrated, practicing good nutrition also decreases your risk of a sports injury.
As an athlete, one of your priorities should be eating a balanced diet of nutrient-rich foods and eating the appropriate number of calories. Even when you take all the proper precautions and always exercise good judgment when participating in a sport or being active, occasionally an injury is unavoidable. We cannot always control the world around us, and injuries are part of being an athlete. If you suffer an acute sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ Ellisville, MO sports therapists immediately. We will perform an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and design a custom treatment plan to return you to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As someone who is active, we know that living with an activity-limiting injury is more than frustrating. In order to be able to get back to the level of performance, mobility and strength you are accustomed to, you must receive the right sports injury treatment. When you experience a sports injury, the qualified Ellisville, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work closely with you to formulate an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning Ellisville, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized Ellisville, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your recovery from your sports injury. When managing a sports injury, it is crucial to get proper treatment from a skilled professional immediately. After you have been hurt while playing sports, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our Ellisville, MO sports therapy team is ready to help return you to full strength and get you back to doing the activities you love. Find out more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the Ellisville, MO location nearest you.