Sports Injury St. Ann, MO. A sports injury can take place when you are playing a sport competitively, training, working out, playing recreationally or participating in other types of physical activity. Professional athletes aren’t the only people who can experience a sports injury. Actually, most sports injuries happen to non-professional athletes. When you are injured in a sports or athletic-related event, our St. Ann, MO sports therapists can help you recuperate. Axes Physical Therapy has has fourteen locally owned and operated facilities, each with its own group of physical and occupational therapists. After you are injured while being physically active, our team can treat your sports injury and safely get you back to the activities you love. Discover the St. Ann, MO sports injury treatment location most convenient for you, learn more about Axes and why we are the leader in sports injury treatment in the St. Ann, MO area or contact us now to schedule an analysis of your sports injury with a certified physical or occupational therapist today.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries vary greatly in terms of severity, necessary treatment and impact on the body and ability to stay active. Our St. Ann, MO physical and occupational therapists specialize in treating all varieties of sports injuries. With decades of experience, exhaustive clinical training and education and specialization in various areas of sports injury treatment, you are in trustworthy hands when you trust your sports injury treatment to the St. Ann, MO physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy. We will guide you in your rehabilitation and make certain that you will be back to the sports and activities you enjoy soon.
As skillful sports therapists serving all of St. Ann, MO, there are not many sports injuries we have not seen or successfully treated. Listed below are some of the some of the sports injuries we see the most of.
- Sprains – A sprain happens when a ligament is torn or overstretched.
- Strains – When a tendon or muscle is torn or overstretched, you have a strain, which are sometimes mistaken for a sprain. Both are common sports injuries.
- Tendonitis/Tendonosis – When a tendon is overused, it can cause swelling and become painful, limiting activity. Long term or chronic swelling of a tendon can result in degradation and breakdown of the tendon tissue, resulting in tendonitis.
- Swollen joints or tissue – Swelling is a common reaction to many sports injuries and can cause soreness and weakness.
- Broken bones – Fractures are caused by overuse or trauma caused by an outside force, and can include stress fractures or a broken bone.
- Dislocations – A dislocation sports injury occurs when a bone is pushed out of its socket.
- Knee injuries – The knee is a vital but potentially vulnerable joint that can experience a variety of different sports injuries leading to torn ligaments, cartilage injuries, muscle strains, and fracture.
- Rotator cuff injuries – The rotator cuff is a network of muscles and tendons that disallows your arm from popping out of the shoulder socket while still allowing full range of motion. For the rotator cuff, the highest sports injury risks come from impingement and/or rotator cuff tear.
- Achilles tendon injuries – The Achilles tendon is a very strong and flexible tendon which connects your calf to your heel. Tendonitis and ruptures are typical Achilles tendon injuries in active individuals.
- Shin splints – Shin splints are a sports injury that is most common in runners and basketball players. The muscles and tendons around the shin become swollen, causing pain.
Our sports injury treatment team can help you recover from your sports injury. As an expert in movement and movement disorders, your St. Ann, MO sports therapist will employ their experience and expertise toward your recovery. Using evidence-based practices, we will design a tailored treatment plan that will permit you to safely recuperate from your sports injury and return your strength and movement so that you can get back to the activities you love while protecting against future injury.
If you suffer a sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy will work with you to return you to excellent physical health and get you back to to your peak performance level. Work with a qualified St. Ann, MO physical therapist to recuperate from your sports injury today.
Sports Injury Risk Factors
Anyone. That is why it is of utmost importance to protect our bodies both on and off the field and to take the necessary precautions while playing sports or working out. Warming up is always an important first step, and never overwork your body, particularly if you’ve been inactive. And if you do suffer a sports injury, call the St. Ann, MO sports therapy team at Axes Physical Therapy right away. We will guide you in you in your recovery and return you to the physical activities you love as soon as possible.
You are at a heightened risk of a sports injury if you:
- Participate after not being active for a while or poor level of fitness
- Neglect to stretch or warm up before playing
- Play a contact sport with an inherently higher chance of injury
Young children and older adults are also at a higher risk of experiencing a sports injury. As someone who enjoys being active and who has loved ones that are at a higher risk of sports injury, whether they are strapping on cleats for the first time or getting active again by joining the community pickleball league, keep in mind the basic instructions for sports injury prevention to help keep yourself and your St. Ann, MO family safe from severe sports injuries. If you or someone you care about suffers a sports injury while playing a sport, trust in the talented St. Ann, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy immediately for a complimentary injury screening or analysis of your injury.
Sports Injury Prevention
As an athlete or anyone who is active, a sports injury can interrupt your entire routine and your day-to-day life. Due to physical activity being such a critical part of your health and well-being, sports injury physical therapists espouse the viewpoint that all of us are safer with the right sports injury prevention knowledge. Learn more about sports injury prevention by calling one of our St. Ann, MO physical therapists and minimize the risk of a sports injury by doing the following:
- Warm up
Cold muscles are at a heightened risk of tearing, while warm muscles are more flexible. As you warm up your muscles, the flexibility helps them absorb movement more effectively and shield themselves better against jarring, sudden motions that can otherwise leads to injury.
- Use proper technique
Sports injuries often occur when you try to do an activity without any experience or training. You need a lot of practice to perfect the technical aspects of any sport, but be sure to learn the fundamentals of appropriate movement technique before taking part in a sport or activity. For example, understanding how to bend your knees while you land from a jump can protect you from certain sports injuries to the ankle, knee, hip, and spine.
- Use the necessary equipment
It is essential that you use the appropriate equipment while you are active. The equipment should not only be right for the sport, but also be functioning properly and safe to use. This includes the following:
- Safety gear such as helmets, pads, or safety glasses
- Clothing that fits you well and is designed for physical activity
- Footwear that is suitable for the activity
- Play in safe conditions
In addition to using the correct gear to play the sport, it is important that the St. Ann, MO setting where you are playing is safe. A sports injury can occur when the playing surface is wet, slippery, or muddy. Even if you are conscientious, warming up and stretching adequately before activity, dangerous conditions around you can result in a serious sports injury.
- Stay hydrated
Drinking enough water is a basic health practice that everyone should do. When participating in in physical activity, drink a lot of of water before, during, and after your workout. It is crucial to consistently hydrate while you are being active and afterward to replace the fluids that you lost through sweat.
In addition to drinking enough water, practicing good nutrition also reduces your risk of a sports injury.
Eating a balanced, nutritious diet and balancing your caloric intake is a priority for any athlete. Even with precautionary measures and practicing good judgement when playing a sport or being active, at times an injury is unavoidable. Many things are outside of our control, and injuries are part of being an athlete. If you experience an acute sports injury or notice pain from an overuse injury, contact Axes’ St. Ann, MO sports therapists immediately. We will perform an injury screening to understand the extent and severity of your condition and design a tailor-made treatment plan to return you to health as soon as possible.
Therapy for Your Sports Injury: Axes Physical Therapy
As an athlete, we know that living with an injury that prohibits you from physical activity is frustrating to say the least. In order to be able to get back to the level of performance, mobility and strength you previously had, you must receive the right sports injury care. When you experience a sports injury, the skilled St. Ann, MO sports therapists of Axes Physical Therapy will work closely with you to formulate an individualized treatment plan that will get you back on the court, in the gym or on your morning St. Ann, MO jog route as soon as possible.
Axes’ team of specialized St. Ann, MO sports therapists will successfully guide you in your recovery from your sports injury. When dealing with a sports injury, it is important to get proper care from a knowledgeable professional right away. When you have been hurt while playing sports, contact Axes Physical Therapy right away. Our St. Ann, MO sports therapy team is ready to help get you back to full strength and get you back to playing the sports you love. Find out more about our sports injury treatment services by selecting the St. Ann, MO location nearest you.